Headlamp for lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp_monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been in need of a better lighting setup for lobstering. I have thought of getting one of the headlamps with a li-ion battery but I am a little concerned with these li-ion batteries exploding. I know more than one person who has had them detonate before which makes it even worse if it's on my head :oops:... Do any of you guys use them and are you concerned about this? What is your night diving setup for lobster?

This is a great light. If you choose the rechargeable battery the light is very bright - over 600 lumens. You also have the option of running a single AA battery, but the output drops significantly to 180 lumens. It is my understanding that the recommended practice is to carry at least two lights on a night dive. The second light can be saved as a back up or two can be worn on the mask straps.

This is a great light. If you choose the rechargeable battery the light is very bright - over 600 lumens. You also have the option of running a single AA battery, but the output drops significantly to 180 lumens. It is my understanding that the recommended practice is to carry at least two lights on a night dive. The second light can be saved as a back up or two can be worn on the mask straps.
Thanks, Yes I always night dive with at least 2 lights however when chasing the bugs I often need both hands so this looks like it might be right for me. I'll check it out - thanks.

What about mounting a light on your snare or net?

I have quite a few li-ion batteries. Knock on wood, have not had problems so far. I keep them in plastic cases when not in use.

Do you hunt alone? If so, you could always mount a couple on a helmet.

DW

I have a couple of these… cheap and they work great. They attach to mask strap or throw into a BC pocket as a backup.

Depending on where you are hunting snare might be illegal. Just pointing that out.
I assume you have some tool, such as a net, tickle stick, or snare. Lights could be installed on any of them.

I assume you have some tool, such as a net, tickle stick, or snare. Lights could be installed on any of them.
The only tool we can use is a net, and that it to hold your catch after you have grabbed it with your hands.

I have a couple of these… cheap and they work great. They attach to mask strap or throw into a BC pocket as a backup.
I use one of these on a mask strap and find it's surprisingly bright.

Back
Top Bottom