Heading to KOH PHI PHI to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are heading there Aug 26 for some diving . Myabe take a few classes and am looking forward to some good diving . Looking for any suggestions on dive shops for training and trips. Any information on lodging and eating will be greatly appreciated . I cant wait to dive there

Michael

Hey Quero
We are heading there Aug 26 this year for about 5-7 days. My friend wants to do his AOWD there . I might try a ntirox course or something else who knows .
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/382740-phi-phi-dive-shops.htmlThe above thoughts on shops still good.
Also since I have never been there any thoughts on conditions and what kind of diving to expect. We are both coming from Jeddah and diving the Red Sea.
I am thinking of bring my BC Console and mask any thoughts on that are appreciated .

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recommend training on Phi Phi, it's like PADI hell over there. One shop on the main drag will literally ask every person who walks by if they want to take a dive course. Very annoying.

However that said, I did enjoy the diving there last year. Which did surprise me. Easily found Turtles and Leopard sharks (beautiful creatures) on every dive.

As for choice of shop? Have a stroll around there is so much choice on Phi Phi for dive centres. If it all gets too much head to the bakery on the main drag for excellent coffee and a croissant :D

Hey Michael. Yeah, the advice everybody gave in that thread is still good. This time of year is low season, so expect things to be a little quieter than during the winter months meaning that class sizes should be small, which is all good.

Sea conditions may be a little choppy due to the winds coming in from the southwesterly direction. You will be around exactly at the time of the new moon on the 29th, and that sort of moon moves a lot of water during tidal changes and sometimes reduces visibility as a consequence. Ask about the currents at the dive sites your operator plans to visit since at the new moon the tidal currents can get pretty strong. We routinely look at the tide tables when we are planning and briefing dives, and many dive leaders will provide this information spontaneously, but if you are not told about the tidal currents on any given dive, just ask.

Regarding your questions about equipment, if you have a mask you like, it can't hurt to bring it along, and I'm guessing your dive computer is on your console along with your SPG and depth gauge, right? It shouldn't be any trouble at all for the dive shop to switch their console with yours if you rent a reg set. Do keep in mind that we use metric measurements here, so our dive briefings discuss depths in meters rather than feet and air pressure in bar rather than psi. Your dive guide should be able to interpret your pressure during the dive, but make sure that you let him/her know if you are using imperial measures rather than metric.

Shame you're not coming to Phuket to dive with me here!

Last edited:
Thanks Wart for the info he just wants to do his Advanced Open Water there I am not sure I am taking any courses myself having just got the rescue diver out of the way. But looking forward to the diving for sure and I wont forget the crossants and tea.
Quero thanks also for the info and we were planning on staying a day or so in Phuket maybe we will have to alter what little plans we do have to have a few dives with you. I know very little about diving there and I take it you have some really nice diving there also. This is one of those trips that have no real agendas or plans I just have to be back in Jeddah on Sept 2nd for work .
Michael

I was there in 2001 and had one of the nicest weeks of my life. The island is beautiful, and the diving was fun... especially thanks to the lovely Dutch dive mistress I dove with (sigh)! Of course that was back before the big tsunami hit so I'm not sure what shops are still active on the island,. I dove with Visa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom