Heading to Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived in Jamaica years ago and ran the scuba/watersports at a couples only all-inclusive resort on the north shore part of the time I was there. I go to Jamaica to dive regularly. I was married there last year Breezes Runaway Bay Wedding (My first and last marriage)

I think the reason many people consider Negril better at diving is the calm waters of Negril make it easier, and more accessible than the north shore. I feel the diving is much the same, and would depend on the particular day and location you go to.

In regards to Sandals Diving, here are there official rules, from the watersports director:
Regarding your email request; NB: The under mention are need to know information. It is straight forward, and also standard throughout Sandals/Beaches Resorts

• Certified diver who have dive within 6 months can go straight to a dive, once he or she clear medical and show proof of dive e.g. Logbook with stamp authenticating the dive/s & depth. Dive Computer
• All diver/s that have not dive in 7 months and up must do a pool assessment of 4 skills.
• Certified diver/s that has not dive up to 18 months must do a refresher at a minimal cost.
• All diver/s below Dive Master Level must do a shallow dive before they (diver) can go on any deep dive.
• All diver/s that complete the shallow dive satisfactory will be able to do both deep and shallow dives daily
Once the requirements are met all certified divers can dive twice (2) per day seven days per week if they (Diver) so desire.

All participants certified or non-certified diver/s MUST fill out a medical questionnaire before he or she can participate in recreational diving. This information is in case a medical clearance from a doctor may be needed for any medical condition including medication being taken. See (Sandals All Inclusive Caribbean Resorts & Vacation Packages | Wedding, Honeymoon, Couples Only) to view medical statement.

Scuba One Travel - Runaway Bay Jamaica Underwater Photos
Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

we were at that resort at the end of janurary and we loved the dive operation. they were super friendly and the dive boat was big enough for 50+ divers and the most ever on it were 15. they are sticklers with the rules. no shore diving is allowed but shore snorkling is. the sea life was the smaller stuff you had to lok for but it was fun for us. we had a great time. I definately recommend the night dive they offer for an additional price it is well worth the money!!! all of the dive sites are very close to the resort, usually less than 5 minutes. one day of the week we did do a 2 tak dive and that was a longer trek to get there and back (thus why they did the 2 tank) overall we had a great time and really enjoyed the diving

we were at that resort at the end of janurary and we loved the dive operation. they were super friendly and the dive boat was big enough for 50+ divers and the most ever on it were 15. they are sticklers with the rules. no shore diving is allowed but shore snorkling is. the sea life was the smaller stuff you had to lok for but it was fun for us. we had a great time. I definately recommend the night dive they offer for an additional price it is well worth the money!!! all of the dive sites are very close to the resort, usually less than 5 minutes. one day of the week we did do a 2 tak dive and that was a longer trek to get there and back (thus why they did the 2 tank) overall we had a great time and really enjoyed the diving

Thats great to hear. I'm trying to convince my wife to do the night dive. I think she's a bit reluctant because she's never been in the ocean. Do you know, will they do night dives even if you don't have your "Night Dive Specialty" done? I wouldn't mind doing it there if need be.

Any reason to wear a wet suit? I was thinking about just getting a rash guard.

To: Arkman-- you must be made of sterner stuff than me. My check out dives in central MN convinced me to head way south when feel the need to get wet.

ok come on mojo! There is a lot of fun places to dive around here. Its not that cold :eyebrow:

Take your dry suit class and you don't even notice the cold. Although, I don't think the vis is ever good. The best vis I've ever had was on my check out dives at the Crosby mine pits. It was 18', everything since has been 10' at best.

I'm hoping to get out to lake superior this summer and try out some of the ship wrecks around there. I've heard the vis is pretty good there. But the water is never warm. I do see people swimming during the summer. Those people are stupid. :rofl3:

If you or any other folks from MN want to dive this summer just let me know. I'm down in the cities a lot over the summers. Usually Sundays are best since we shoot weddings Saturdays.

Haven't been to Occho Rios, but the general concensus on the Island is that Negril has the better diving.

I've only been on three diving vacations, first being Turks and Caicos (awesome), 2nd & 3rd being Negril, Jamaica so my experience is not extensive. I can definitely say Jamaica is not exactly overwhelming when it comes to sealife.

There a link to my last Jamaica trip photos in my signature.

Thanks. Those photos look like a lot of fun. I'm excited to see anything half that cool :D

@Scuba One - Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if they will take my logged dive if we had to do a refresher course that'd be fine. I like practicing skills every time I get.

Thanks editmojo. We are so excitied that we are probably going to also book Sept 2012 so we can get the $300 resort credit. Can't be used for night dives; but it can at the spa :D and gift shop.

What is the set-up at the dive shop if you are bringing your own gear. Do they have lockers or something where we can hang our wetsuits, BCDs, etc to dry between dives and then for the next day? This was nice in Roatan; lockers right by the boats. Take your stuff on the boat for the first dive and it stayed on the boat for all 3/4 dives. No taking back to the room at night.

I too would prefer two morning dives and have it over by lunch time. That is how it was at Sandals Cuba. They also had an area where we put our stuff for the whole 2 weeks. Nice. Only had to carry everything once to the dive shop and back.

I like the sound of this vacation. Breakfast then dive. Lunch then dive. Nap then dinner. What a life! :rofl3:

BettyinToronto Couples Negril do have dive lockers (12 half lockers if I remember correctly) you will get a locker key from the guys and you can store your gear there all week, (we keep our regs in the dive shack hanging with the other regs - no problem you can also hang your wetsuits up outside the dive shack and if you dont happen to make it back before they close the boys will lock it in the dive shack for the night, my wife and I always take all of our gear and I have never had an issue with the lockers or putting gear in the dive shack overnight. If you do the morning dive and plan on doing the afternoon dive as well you just leave all of your gear on the boat after the morning dive.

If you go to the Couples website (message board) where I have seen your name before (in the Nitrox thread) if you search for me dly2k1 you will see some videos (Dolphins and turtles) that I took while divign at Couples Negril in Feb 2011 and Feb 2010

Did try a lengthy post last night, but it did not go through - timed out?? Will now try again over a couple shorter posts.

Sandals have their own diving and its in the price. All their dives are DM led - no need to get a guide elsewhere. They also adhere to a DM to guest ratio i.e. large gruop several DMs. Normally they run 9am and 11am dives daily. You may be required to do a check out dive and this would be on the shallower 11am. You would then miss the 9am dive that day. So check in with watersports asap after checking in to sign up. You may be able to get out of the check out dive, if you can show that you have been diving recently - take your log book.

Sandals try to run an ultra safe operation. To this end, they are very conservative and tend to hold to 30 mins dives irrespective of depth (upsets the experienced divers). If you are first in and last out, sometimes you can extend it to 40 mins.

The hotel has it's own dock and the boats are moored there. So easy!!!!

Slightly east of Sandals and out to sea about 3/4ml is a large area of decent diving. It is a plateau that rises out of the depths. It is known by some as Devil's Reef, I think the correct name is Mammee Tree Bank. The top of the shallower section is about 60' and drops away to 90/100' (DMs usually restrict the dives to the top only). I'm fairly certain that the DMs won't take you to the deeper sections, some of which drop away to way beyond recreational. Even going to the shallower section will depend on the DMs assessment of your comfort level. A site to which I'm pretty certain they'll take you, is the wreck of the Kathryn. This is said to be a Russian minesweeper and was purpose sunk as a dive site. It sits upright at about 40-45', the superstructure is only about 20-25' below the surface. A fun dive with lots of small fishes checking you for food. Also a very nice night dive - lots of crabs, basket stars and corals with polyps open. I've only mentioned these two dives, but there are reefs all along that section of coast. Unfortunately, the reef health deterioates the closer it is to the shore.

Back
Top Bottom