Heading to Belize for the first time, where to stay, who to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to head to belize for the first time. we go to Cozumel twice a year and we want to broaden our horizen...so to speak. there is to much development going on in cozumel and it's loosing it's twice a year appeal.

I will tell you what we like in cozumel and see if there is a place like that in Belize. I have been told it's actually better than cozumel and would like to find out. we fly down for 4-5 days of diving and stay in a little hole in the way sort of place. it's very clean and the people are great but it is definitly not a resort. there are about 40 room and the price is about $69 night! there is a very small dive shop on site. they have about 3 or 4 boats and a maximum of 10 people a boat. they are very fast boats so we get dive site quickly. over the last 5 years of going there we have had the same dive masters and have become pretty good friends with them. so instead of going to a distant land to dive it's more like going to meet friends and dive with them. we have made several life long in the other guests that we meet there. we walk to the town and eat in town and little mexican places. we also like to rent moped and drive to the other side of the island where they don't even have electricity yet to get away from the cruise ships that always come in.

so that is what we are looking for. does this sound like belise?

we want:
cheap and clean accomidations
some where close (taxi ride) to the air port
dive shop with awesome DMs and fast boats
a near by town that we can go to and eat at. (NOT tourist places)
and somewhat secluded, I hate crowds and despise cruse ships.

can anyone help? hotel recomendation would be awesome. I have been scanning the belize section for a while and it looks really promising. we will be flying out of Atlanta if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance, I know SB won't let me down! :D

I go to Belize once a year. I am assuming that you are going to Ambergris Caye.

Lodging: I like the Tides. It is small, only about 10 rooms; has a pool and a bar (Butch the bartender is great); breakfast on the dock in the morning is lite but good and they have their own dive shop, Patojo's; which is one of the oldest on the island and quite respected. You can check out the Tides here: The Tides Beach Resort & Patojo's Scuba Center, Diving and Touring in Belize, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Diving in Belize is not like Coz; you go out to your dive site and then come back to shore for your surface interval; the boats are all quick, I've never seen a cattle-boat.
Food/town: San Pedro town is just south and you can find a plethora of restaurants there. It isn't like a lot of places with clear distinctions between locals and tourists for food, though in the rare cases you can tell pretty easily. You won't find any Jimmy Buffet or the like on the island (yet). The restaurants are locally run and some are quite delightful.
No cruise ships into Ambergris (yet) so its a joy. There are also no gringo fast-food chains.
No mopeds for rent, but you can rent a golf cart and drive north of the bridge; you can also rent bicycles. There are good places to eat north of the bridge, but no cars up there at all; its a fun excursion.
Taxis are cheap, when we get to Ambergris, its usually a $5, US ride to the Tides and, to be honest, I think they have paid the driver themselves a couple of times.
As for diving, Belize has a lot of canyon dives, you don't drift much. I think more big fish than coz, but not as much in terms of coral formations (like, for example, Palancar). No wrecks.
I never get much of a hustle on the beach and you can do some long walks south.

HOpe this helps,

Dave

There are scooters for rent on the island, just opposite the Tropic Air terminal at the airstrip.

You won't find "secluded" anywhere near the town on Ambergris Caye. Either go at least two miles north or south, or try Caye Caulker. I can't suggest accommodation on CC, but go to Belize Diving Services or Frenchies and ask them for recommendations.

On AC there are lots of small cheap(ish) hotels and lots of good dive operators. If you go to The Tides/Patojos you won't go far wrong. Another nice and relatively secluded places to stay near town is Paradise Villas. Any dive operator will pick you up there if you pre-arrange it.

Peruse Belize Vacations, Maps, Real Estate, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Tours for a lot of good local information.

Hi, this is really not what you want to hear, but think about Peter Hughes Sun Dancer for part of your trip, best way to get to the best diving. Then you could chill out on Caye Caulker after which will fulfill most of your wish list above. Have fun!

I think San Padro on Ambergris Caye will definatly fit your needs. There are several inexpensive hotels that rooms can be had for <$75 a night. Tons of good cheap reasturants. Many good dive ops that will pick you up at your hotel's dock. My wife and I prefer to use Chuck & Robbie's (AmberGriscayeDiving - Belize Scuba Diving, Ambergris Caye Belize, Belize Diving & PADI Instruction) for our local diving when we visit there. Tides'/Patojo's is also a good cheaper hotel/good dive op to use. The rental house we stayed in on our last 2 visits to AC was right next to the Tide's. Drank just a few Beliken's at their pool bar. Definatly check out Belize Vacations, Maps, Real Estate, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Tours tons of good info on the site and there is a local AC message board too to find more info.

awesome thanks for the info. from the look of Amberfuis Caye (AC?) it seems like I have to take another place or a ferry to get there from belize city? 1.5hrs ferry ride? is that correct? can someone elaberate more on that? what about the 15min flight, is that worth checking into? I dont' mind paying a reasonable amount tosave over an hour of vacation time.

if I did read that correct and there is a ferry ride where do I pick it up? how much is it? will it be diffcult for a newbie to find? (we travel alot just not to belize yet)

Just tell any taxi you want to catch the boat to San Pedro and Caye Caulker. Belize City is small and they all know where it is. The fare was about US$25 or so.
One question though....you say you want to broaden your horizons and go from Cozumel to Belize. It's kind of like saying, "I visit Ohio every year and now want to try Indiana...". Just my thought on it. Have fun though. Belize is nice.

The flight from belize city to san padro is right around $100 r/t on either of the 2 airlines. I think it's well worth the extra $ to take the flight vs. cab ride/water taxi trip. Just the views from the air are worth the plane trip.

Yes, definitely fly. Especially with lots of luggage. Tropic Air and Maya island Air both service that route, with similar aircraft.

An option may be to fly to Cancun, bus down to and over the border to Corozal, and then fly direct to San Pedro (not via Belize City). The bus journey takes around 5 hours which may make it a show stopper for you, but potentially you can save a fortune on airfares.

Just tell any taxi you want to catch the boat to San Pedro One question though....you say you want to broaden your horizons and go from Cozumel to Belize. It's kind of like saying, "I visit Ohio every year and now want to try Indiana...". Just my thought on it. Have fun though. Belize is nice.

yea that's a good point. the only reason I want to go some where else is because Coz is getting to much like cancun. it has a LONG way to go before it gets that bad but it's not the same Coz it was a few years ago. they now have a descent road all the way around the island. the Bob Marly bar is getting to crowded, and rumor has it that it will have electricity this year :(. I actualy had to wait for a spot at coconuts last time. that just aint right.

they created a Jimmy Buffit bar and some other crap like that. I am not a fan of that. I like going to a nice little restraunt that looks more like the back yard of someone's house than to some huge bar with disco lights and music so loud you can't talk to your group!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom