Heading to Aberdeen Next Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I'm heading to Aberdeen next week and would love to sneek in some diving (shore or boat). Unfortunately, I haven't dove a dry suit yet but could take the class and rent (pending my schedule). Otherwise, I could just rent a 7mm and go for it which is probably best considering time. I tried to get dry suit training in Qatar but they've never heard of one (lol).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what/where to dive? I'd like to dive any of the wrecks at Scapa Flow but I'm not sure how easy it is to get that trip or how expensive it is in Aberdeen.

Does anyone want to get together for some dives?

I'm afraid to ask but, what's the water temp? :D

Richard

Hi again

Scapa flow is in the Orkney islands. You might be able to get a ferry from Aberdeen (I think but I'm not sure there's one from there) or alternatively drive up to the north of Scotland for a shorter crossing. Either way you'd probably be looking at staying in the Orkneys for a few days to a week.

You don't say how long you're staying for so I don't know if that would be of any good to you. If you can do it the Scapa flow wrecks are great (although personally I wouldn't do it in anything other than a drysuit)

It might pay you to check out this forum if you want to find out more or seek out someone to dive with. It will obviously be more focused on the UK.

http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk

Hope you have a good time

How long are you going to be there? Probably the easiest place to sort yourself out is Aberdeen Watersports (01224 581313) - they do courses and organise some dives - they've a website I think as well.
Diving at this time of year is starting to get a bit 'iffy' Superb dive sites a couple of hours up the road at Lossiemouth if the weather is ok. Scapa is easy to get to from Aberdeen - jump on the Northlink ferry on a Sat/Sun/Thurs at 5pm, and it arrives in Kirkwall at 11 - cost about £30 return without a berth. Late in the season for scapa, although the visibilty is usually very good at this time of year - you'd have to ring round the various boats to see who had space or is going out. ( NOTE - there are never dm's on the boats in Orkney, solo diving is perfectly acceptable, so you might have to organise your own buddy) There's lots to do in Orkney, but remember it get dark around 4:30 about now.
Water temperature here ( 250 miles away) is 11degC currently - aberdeen is probably the same.
If you're around longer - stay on the ferry till the following morning and you'll wind up in Shetland
cheers

Fi
(Shetland Isles UK)

I'm probably going to be in Aberdeen through the week and leave late Sunday or maybe Monday if I can push it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom