Headed to the ABC islands for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PrincessHae82:

Since you asked about Dive Hut, check out my review from 8/12, with the stipulation that I was a solo diver staying in a 'hotel room' unit, and your experience would differ significantly. Overall, I liked it for what it was, and if I were looking for that type of trip, I'd likely do it again. A good value.

In the thread, I contrasted it a bit with my experience at Buddy Dive, which offers in some ways a different product category (ocean-front, house reef, large grounds, breakfast buffet included, costs quite a bit more).

For a first trip with relative inexperience, I'd lean toward a resort like Buddy with a good house reef to build experience, especially if you aren't traveling with a group who've been before, but to keep costs down, I was impressed with Dive Hut.

Richard.

Richard gives a great report on the dive hut. But Den Laman and the dive hut is a bad comparison. Have never stayed at either but i am very familiar with den laman and know about the dive hut. anyway you'll enjoy Bonaire but from what I've read on this thread I'd go with anything on the water--den laman would be a great place to stay.

If you're on the morning (AA?) flight you will need to overnite on Curacao since there's no early morning flight from Bonaire. The airport hotel is a dump but the Hilton in Piscadera Bay - while older - is decently priced for one night. The Marriott next door is very nice but pricey. Or stay downtown but plan on a $40-50 cab ride each way. There's a few less expensive hotels downtown that would put you walking distance for dinner, a little shopping etc.

BDSME can be bought at many dive shops on Bonaire - including both Bonaire D&A and Dive Friends. Or here if you want it sooner: Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy & Snorekling, Order the Book

Bob is right, the Dive Hut is much more of an economy place than Den Laman. Not on the water either.

Comparables for Den Laman would be Sand Dollar condos, Buddy Dive, Habitat or Eden Beach. Caribbean Club also but it's a block to the water and farther north. Or the Divi Flamingo in town, the Plaza Resort south of town or Belmar, Bellevue, Port Bonaire (in the flight path) or several other waterfront condo complexes farther south in Belnem - a quieter area. infobonaire breaks them down by price near the bottom of this page: http://www.infobonaire.com/hotels.html

We stayed at Belmar Apts. - condos, they're nice, quiet, waterfront. The other Buddy Dive shopt is there so you get use of Buddy's drive-thru on the north side. Decent house reef and it's 5mins. to the start of all the southern sites. Downside is no nearby food - except at Hotel Roomer across the street. Parking is a little tight also if they're full.

When my husband and I did our first solo shore dives, it was in Curacao. Since then, we have been to both Curacao and Bonaire. My recommendations would be 1) On your first dive, look into hiring a guide from the dive op. You will learn the basic foundation of shore diving without it being so intimidating. The following dive, repeat the entrance and choose to either go the same direction or the other. At least you will be familiar with the entrance and exits. 2) Not trying to sound condescending, but remember the rule 'plan your dive and dive your plan'. When shore diving unguided, you are responsible for evaluating and planning your depth, limits and deciding when to turn around. Typically my husband and I will max our depth at 70-80 feet and when my tank is about 1/3 depleted then we will turn around and level off at 40-50 feet for the swim back. I know this is very conservative, but I like to pad my psi in case we overshoot the entrance, encounter current etc. Our next dive max depth is usually 60 feet. Everybody has their own system, this is what has worked for us. 3) Try to get comfortable with underwater navigation. I suck at following a compass. Fortunately, my husband is more skilled. When encountering a double reef system(which won't be every dive) it is easy to get confused as to what direction you are heading. One minute the shallow part of the reef is by your left shoulder, then it is by your right. Swim around a coral head and it is even more difficult to get your bearings.

While in Curacao, we were frequently approached by other solo divers or couples asking to buddy up(not so much in Bonaire). I figure an extra set of eyes may be the ones to locate the frogfish that I will hopefully one day see:wink: I think you will vastly enjoy to freedom which shore diving offers.

Back
Top Bottom