Headaches/vomiting/nausea while diving after a motorcycle accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

End of September....75 dives scheduled. Worst case is I’m on Dramamine the whole time or I hope that it is not an issue by then. I leave for the ENT in about 2 hours and will ask to see if she also suggests I see a neurologist. It is probably a good idea.

Thank you for the insight! This is good info.

Thanks, @Wingy!

I will report back on what the ENT says or does today. Thanks, everyone!

Did they CT your head and neck after the accident?

I would not dive again until this is resolved. If it is due to increased ICP related to immersion as the DAN medic suggested, you do not want to be doing that. Another possibility is an upper spinal injury that could be leading to positional vertebral artery compression - the BC/tank combo could be exerting mechanical pressure that you don't see outside of diving. Or, it could simply be muscular tension from a still-healing subclinical strain. In any case, a visit to a neurologist is definitely in order. Please keep us posted!

Best regards,
DDM

Did they CT your head and neck after the accident?

I would not dive again until this is resolved. If it is due to increased ICP related to immersion as the DAN medic suggested, you do not want to be doing that. Another possibility is an upper spinal injury that could be leading to positional vertebral artery compression - the BC/tank combo could be exerting mechanical pressure that you don't see outside of diving. Or, it could simply be muscular tension from a still-healing subclinical strain. In any case, a visit to a neurologist is definitely in order. Please keep us posted!

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for your response! No CT post accident. What are the short and long term effects of increased ICP?

I will keep everyone posted for sure. I am going to take this information and present to the doctor to see their thoughts. I appreciate it!

Thanks for your response! No CT post accident. What are the short and long term effects of increased ICP?

I will keep everyone posted for sure. I am going to take this information and present to the doctor to see their thoughts. I appreciate it!

The blood in the arteries has to overcome the pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in order to perfuse the brain, so increased intracranial pressure can lead to decreased cerebral perfusion. Your blood pressure may be upregulated to compensate for that. Not something you want going on long-term.

The lack of any indication of head injury is interesting and what would make me lean more toward something in your spine rather than some sort of intracranial process.

Best regards,
DDM

I went to see the ENT yesterday. It was very uneventful...She basically said if it is my inner ear, she is surprised that it would be showing up even so long after the accident. (My dives started in late March and were through mid April.) She said it is unlikely or rare, but that does not make it impossible. She asked if I was equalizing properly, and I said I was. Her knowledge of diving was very limited if anything at all so the idea of it being an equalization issue is a bit silly to me.

She then said that if it is indeed my inner ear, it will just take time to sort itself out and there's no medication or anything to fix it which I am already aware of. She said that it could be temporary or it could be permanent but that being on Dramamine for a few weeks at a time so that I can dive is not an issue. She thinks it is more of a neurology issue so she suggested I follow up there.

That is the next step. @Duke Dive Medicine, if it is the spine, what doc is best to talk to about that?

Thanks!

Sorry about your get off, but I know you were ATGATT and that mitigated a more serious outcome. Hopefully in time, your situation will rectify itself....if not, just eat something that will attract all the colorful fish :wink:

Sorry about your get off, but I know you were ATGATT and that mitigated a more serious outcome. Hopefully in time, your situation will rectify itself....if not, just eat something that will attract all the colorful fish :wink:

Yes, ATGATT! Can we please review what attracts the whale sharks and mantas? :D Thank you!

I went to see the ENT yesterday. It was very uneventful...She basically said if it is my inner ear, she is surprised that it would be showing up even so long after the accident. (My dives started in late March and were through mid April.) She said it is unlikely or rare, but that does not make it impossible. She asked if I was equalizing properly, and I said I was. Her knowledge of diving was very limited if anything at all so the idea of it being an equalization issue is a bit silly to me.

She then said that if it is indeed my inner ear, it will just take time to sort itself out and there's no medication or anything to fix it which I am already aware of. She said that it could be temporary or it could be permanent but that being on Dramamine for a few weeks at a time so that I can dive is not an issue. She thinks it is more of a neurology issue so she suggested I follow up there.

That is the next step. @Duke Dive Medicine, if it is the spine, what doc is best to talk to about that?

Thanks!

A neurologist would be my first recommendation.

Best regards,
DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom