Headache and dizziness - should I be concerned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlottegarrett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

New here so sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong place. I’m also new ish to diving, and completed my 11th dive yesterday. Apologies again, as a bit of a long post. We did two dives and did a 3 minute safety stop on ascent for both.

I was feeling quite stressed about using new equipment, being in a rush and having different units of measurement on my hired gear (bar to psi, metres to feet). I didn’t feel confident and shouldn’t have gone on the second dive. My regulator was blocked and didn’t come right till just before I jumped in; we didn’t do safety checks, I was fumbling with my BCD and different locations for inflate and deflate. In the rush I hadn’t even correctly clipped on my BCD and my tank was sitting in a funny position. Mask and fins didn’t fit correctly, you get the picture….the second dive did go better but think the damage mentally and physically was done.

I came up feeling ok, after the second dive at around 1:30pm, but by the early evening I started to feel off. Symptoms were a lot of fatigue, feeling a bit dizzy and a bit of chest tightness. I also had a headache. I attributed all of this to being anxious and assumed I was imagining symptoms.

I woke up feeling not much better, very uncomfortably tired, my shoulders and back and legs felt sore like I had done an intense workout. I assumed, although I’ve not felt like this before after diving, that it was from the stress of the dive, being tired beforehand and maybe being a bit overweighted.

Day two and I still have the headaches and slight dizziness. The dizziness is worse in the apartment I’m staying in (29th floor). I imagine the headache is probably connected to the jaw pain I have from clenching the whole time, I didn’t realised how stressed I was underwater but I guess I was probably also hyperventilating a bit. I remember at one point feeling like it was labour intensive to breathe, and I just wanted the the dive to be over.

I feel like I can brush off all of my symptoms to anxiety or stress, but wondering if I should be more concerned. The most problematic symptom at the moment is the slight dizzy feeling like the floor is moving slightly, and the headache. I’m supposed to be flying home not tomorrow but the next day.

Sorry for the long post, I’m considering calling DAN for peace of mind. My brain has drifted into all the worst places on the internet (DCS) but was just wondering if others experience the same.

It could very well be anxiety, muscle activity you aren't used to, and the after effects of a long boat ride. But call DAN anyway. The call is free and they will be able to help you better then we can.

And now for the unsolicited advice. You will have a much better time once you decide that you are in control of your safety when diving. Don't let anyone rush you. Insist on getting properly geared up and doing your safety checks. If they really won't allow it, then sit out the dive and find another operator.

I will suggest you start setting up early so other divers don't have to be waiting on you. You can ask the operator for advance warning to give you enough time. And definitely ask for help if you aren't sure of something. There is no shame in it and most divers are eager to help out.

stress and tiredness can cause those symptoms - did you do a shore dive or out in OW? small boat or big boat? I cannot handle rolling seas on a small boat - i get really sick with headaches and loss of balance sometimes for days afterwards. seasickness can be managed with good medication -try doing a shore dive with calm seas to see if its different -where do you live in NZ

Hello,

New here so sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong place. I’m also new ish to diving, and completed my 11th dive yesterday. Apologies again, as a bit of a long post. We did two dives and did a 3 minute safety stop on ascent for both.

I was feeling quite stressed about using new equipment, being in a rush and having different units of measurement on my hired gear (bar to psi, metres to feet). I didn’t feel confident and shouldn’t have gone on the second dive. My regulator was blocked and didn’t come right till just before I jumped in; we didn’t do safety checks, I was fumbling with my BCD and different locations for inflate and deflate. In the rush I hadn’t even correctly clipped on my BCD and my tank was sitting in a funny position. Mask and fins didn’t fit correctly, you get the picture….the second dive did go better but think the damage mentally and physically was done.

I came up feeling ok, after the second dive at around 1:30pm, but by the early evening I started to feel off. Symptoms were a lot of fatigue, feeling a bit dizzy and a bit of chest tightness. I also had a headache. I attributed all of this to being anxious and assumed I was imagining symptoms.

I woke up feeling not much better, very uncomfortably tired, my shoulders and back and legs felt sore like I had done an intense workout. I assumed, although I’ve not felt like this before after diving, that it was from the stress of the dive, being tired beforehand and maybe being a bit overweighted.

Day two and I still have the headaches and slight dizziness. The dizziness is worse in the apartment I’m staying in (29th floor). I imagine the headache is probably connected to the jaw pain I have from clenching the whole time, I didn’t realised how stressed I was underwater but I guess I was probably also hyperventilating a bit. I remember at one point feeling like it was labour intensive to breathe, and I just wanted the the dive to be over.

I feel like I can brush off all of my symptoms to anxiety or stress, but wondering if I should be more concerned. The most problematic symptom at the moment is the slight dizzy feeling like the floor is moving slightly, and the headache. I’m supposed to be flying home not tomorrow but the next day.

Sorry for the long post, I’m considering calling DAN for peace of mind. My brain has drifted into all the worst places on the internet (DCS) but was just wondering if others experience the same.
What were the dive profiles?

I would really recommend that you hire a private guide as your buddy who will support you and give you confidence for the next few dives. I am no expert but DCS would be rare in the circumstances you describe. It’s probably anxiety due to lack of experience, unfamiliar equipment and situations. I cannot see if you described where you are or if you are jet lagged or diving with people unknown to you. Eleven dives is absolute beginner stage, don’t believe all the rhetoric that suggests that once the ink is dry on your certificate you should be 100 percent confide at at all times. Good luck xxx

It could very well be anxiety, muscle activity you aren't used to, and the after effects of a long boat ride. But call DAN anyway. The call is free and they will be able to help you better then we can.

And now for the unsolicited advice. You will have a much better time once you decide that you are in control of your safety when diving. Don't let anyone rush you. Insist on getting properly geared up and doing your safety checks. If they really won't allow it, then sit out the dive and find another operator.

I will suggest you start setting up early so other divers don't have to be waiting on you. You can ask the operator for advance warning to give you enough time. And definitely ask for help if you aren't sure of something. There is no shame in it and most divers are eager to help out.
Unsolicited advice is good :) I’ve got a friend who has offered to take me when she goes and think I’ll spend a lot of dives with her until confidence is up.

stress and tiredness can cause those symptoms - did you do a shore dive or out in OW? small boat or big boat? I cannot handle rolling seas on a small boat - i get really sick with headaches and loss of balance sometimes for days afterwards. seasickness can be managed with good medication -try doing a shore dive with calm seas to see if its different -where do you live in NZ
It was only a five minute boat ride on a calm day so I wasn’t thinking seasick, but definitely does feel like that!

Thank you xx yeah I’ve often felt like after the course I should be fine to jump in the ocean knowing it all, despite very much feeling like I don’t. Of course that’s not the case and some people take more time than others! I think I’m going to be a very slow learner haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom