HD sharing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nadwidny

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking at changing to HD. Retiring my PD150 and going to something like the Canon S10. Back in the old SD days my buddy and I would just swap tapes so that we would both have each other's footage for editing. He now has a HC9 (HDV) but obviously with the S10 I would not have a tape to swap and I would be shooting in a different format.

What kind of adventures can we look forward to when it comes time to share footage. Can it even be done in the same project?

Thanks

Your footage should be importable into his editor since he's already editing in HDV. AVCHD is a format that all the popular NLE's support. As far as mixing the formats, I don't think that would be an issue. It would seem like any clip that can be imported onto the timeline in either format is then editable.

Give me about a week and I'll verify that and post here. I shoot HDV and my buddy just bought an HF200. We plan to experiment with storing his AVCHD footage via my netbook onto an external HDD for an upcoming trip later this week so I'll grab a small clip and see if there's any issues mixing the formats - I use Vegas MSP.

The simplest way would be to get a external SDHC card reader and exchange SDHC cards. You can transfer the contents of the HFS-10's internal flash drive to a removable SDHC card within the camera. Or shoot directly to the external card. You'll want class 4 or higher SDHC cards to record AVCHD cleanly.

btw, the Pixela s/w that comes with the camera is junk. Even Canon says so. My buddy was having all kinds of import problems, Canon USA recommended he just import directly to his editor (Pinnacle Studio 12) instead. And you may need to upgrade your NLE version. I used Vegas Movie Studio - for SD it was fine, for HDV/AVCHD I needed the Platinum version. Pinnacle Studio is similar, you need the middle package for AVCHD.

Also computer upgrades to edit in AVCHD, it has higher requirements than even HDV. Somewhere well above the minimum requirements specified otherwise it won't transfer cleanly and you may experience frequent lockups.

You could also copy the entire directory structure from your camera to some type of external storage via USB 2.0 which he could then import from. This will be quite a bit slower though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. It's a bit of a relief to know that things should go relatively smoothly.

For editing software I've been using Premiere Elements 3.0 but I am upgrading to 8.0 with my new computer. I just hope I bought enough computer for AVCHD. I was going by Premiere's spec sheet to build it. I did bump up the minimums some but I guess I'll find out if it was enough when the time comes.

Thanks for the information. It's a bit of a relief to know that things should go relatively smoothly.

For editing software I've been using Premiere Elements 3.0 but I am upgrading to 8.0 with my new computer. I just hope I bought enough computer for AVCHD. I was going by Premiere's spec sheet to build it. I did bump up the minimums some but I guess I'll find out if it was enough when the time comes.

Probably not. Will need a top end quad core or a mac - just went through this experience on a much lower level. Was looking at what was happening with the processing in APE 8 with Asus probe and the choke point is the processor (dual core 2.7GHz AMD) - was only using ~ 30% of the 4GM RAM however, both processors ~100% and this was with 1080p HD. Hope your new box has a quad core at least i7 :shocked2:

Editing original AVCHD files is tough like everyone says. One option is to convert the original files to easier to edit AVI files. The AVI files are non compressed so they are much larger, but they are also much easier to edit.

Now a days, hard disk space is cheap. I use Cineform Neoscene software to convert my AVCHD fies. The software costs about $120. You can download a trial version for free. Convert some files, experiment editing with the converted files and decide if you want to buy.

Here is the link.

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

Back
Top Bottom