Hawaiian Trip Report April 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hawaiian Trip Report
April 2006

We stayed at the Manini Point House at Kealakekua Bay. It is a private residence for rent (http://maninipointhouse.com/) (the pictures on the website don’t do it justice). It is located steps from the Kealakekua Bay. The sound of the waves lulls one to sleep at night. I can’t say enough about how wonderful this home is. I highly recommend it to anyone staying on the Big Island.

We did a trip to the Kilauea Volcano and then flew over it in a helicopter with the doors off. Great birds eye view of the lava and coastline. Did this our first day so we wouldn’t have to worry about altitude and diving later in the trip.

We snorkeling and shore dove at Place of Refuge (just a few miles from Manini House). I think we saw turtles on each snorkel/dive. We also snorkeled in the Kealakekua Bay by the Captain Cook Monument. We rode down the mountain along the King’s Trail (2000 year old trail) to get to the monument with Bones from the Kona Cowboys.

For diving we used Jack’s Diving Locker. The Manta Night Dive is a must. I went back and snorkeled another night with my husband (non-diver). The first night (diving) we saw 2 mantas. A few nights later (snorkeling), there were 15!! When diving and snorkeling, the mantas come right up to you, I was pet by a manta on both occasions. The diving was great and then later snorkeling it gave a really different perspective.

I then went out during the day to Suck’em Up (lava tubes) and Eel Cove. 200’ viz and 77 degrees F…..mmmmmm!!! Both nice sites. At the entrance of Suck’em up there were two pregnant Whitetip Reef Sharks. There is also Black Skull lava tubes there which were cool to go through as well.

Our other diving trip was a Blue/Black Dive. Very different! On both dives you are tethered to a steel bar between two floats….like bait. The floats are then tossed off the back of the boat and the boat follows along. The blue dive is mainly for the divers to get used to being tethered. It occurs at dusk. The length of the tether is about 50’ and is used to provide a stability point for divers. Since the black dive takes place about 3 miles offshore with a depth of about 6000’ and is at night there is no reference point for depth except for a depth gauge. During the blue dive we saw about 5 Sandbar Sharks that came up to check us out, circled a few times then, took off. During the black dive you jump into the water, and wait to see what comes by. Right before jumping in for the dive, I sat on the back of the boat thinking, what am I doing? I can’t describe the dive other then saying it is like being in outer space and seeing alien life forms drift by. Amazing! The captain of the boat said that during our dive we drifted about 2 miles. Jack’s is the only dive shop that does this dive and it rarely takes place. They said there have only been about 200 people to do this dive. If you are looking for something different (and a little freaky) try this one.

Got in 8 dives (this was a vacation and not a DIVE vacation). Went with some friends and had a blast. Now I just have to get back into the mind set of 10-15’ viz and 55 degree water!

Ann Marie

Sounds wonderful!! I love the manta ray night dive, isn't it fantastic?! And the snorkeling at the Place of Refuge and the Captain Cook Monument is great. We're very excited for our next trip to the Big Island - 10 more weeks!

Sounds like a great trip. I've dived the Place of Refuge and right outside the marina in Kona. All were great dives. I would love to go back again.

What were the rates for the house rental please?

Wow Ann Marie that looks like a really nice place to stay and glad that you had a good time! Next time come to Oahu :D

Diver Lori:
What were the rates for the house rental please?

I don't want to misquote but I think it was about $300 a night, and then we spilt it from there. Elizabeth may have her rates listed on her website. It was definately worth it!!

I was just reading about Jack's Blue/Black dive .. now that I read your report, I really want to do it.
I dove mile marker four on tuesday (by magic sands beach) and saw 8 foot and 5 foot white tip reef sharks mating. It was amazing! I kick myself for not bringing a camera.

Aloha,
Sam

Thanks...Now I have to go back again. Hadent heard about the blue black dive, sounds awsome! I love two step. I have close to 100 dives there alone. I so miss the big isle! Sitting here in Oahu kicking myself becouse I didnt dive today and everything is looking medocre at best anyway. Big Isle I could always find a decent dive to do from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom