Hawaiian Octopus photos needed for Seattle Aquarium Researcher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwscubamom

Contributor
Reaction score
[I'm posting this for researcher Dr. Roland Anderson at the Seattle Aquarium]

Hi All!

I bet a bunch of you have dived in Hawaii and taken photos of octopuses there, particularly the day octopus which is obviously out/visible/active during the day.

My colleague and i are looking for photos of the Hawaiian day octopus showing the dark eye bar display, where a dark bar passes through the pupil of the eye. We are hypothesizing that this is a sign of irritation in octopuses and since you have probably flashed them with a strobe light to get a photo, it is a common display in octopus photos.

I'd like to look at any of these photos that you might have. We promise they won't be used or abused without your permission. We respect all copyright rights. But if you have any such photos, we'd really like to take a look at them. You could send them to me here as jpg files and we'd really appreciate it. roland.anderson@seattle.gov

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Roland

Roland C. Anderson, Ph.D.
Biologist
The Seattle Aquarium
1483 Alaskan Way
Seattle, WA 98101 USA
phone: 206-386-4359
Welfare Editor, DAO

- Janna

I'm not sure how useful it will be, but I may have some more... So little time! :) (and I'm on SB! :))

1187936653.jpg

If I come across another one, I will try to get a good closup of the eye...

Here is another shot of the same octo:

_DSC0071.jpg

I probably have the RAW photo on disc somewhere... I could get a better crop if it would be helpful!

Let me know

Sean

here are two pics I sent. It would be cool to hear the results of his study.

octo-barge.JPG

Day_Octo.JPG

Wow, you guys have some cool shots!

If you have questions for him, you should email him directly - his request just came through my email box a few days ago and I don't have regular contact with him - easiest and most direct for you to email him instead of going through me. I would sure like to know the results of his research too. I think it's great you guys are helping out!

- Janna :)

Nice shtos Sloth. I think the 2nd is an Ornate Octopus.

Definitely would like to know the results! I wonder if one of our video guys can shoot an Octo and see what happens with the eyes?

Sean

here's a good sized tako we found on the sea mount early this turkey day..
'had this post in mind when i shot 'em..

j_tako2.JPG

j_tako1.JPG

high res shots are in my gallery if needed..

Back
Top Bottom