Hawai'i reefs showing strain of overuse, lack of protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptFlyingDutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sounds biased toward local action groups. Many are in favor of returning the oceans to the locals, giving them sole access to such areas as Hanauma Bay and other MPA's. They blame the government for degradation, when there is clearly little that can be done when an area has experienced such an influx of people as Oahu. What the Government has done is set aside nearly 1/3 of the Kona Coast out of reach of the fishermen and fish collectors. IMHO, the biggest threat to Hawaii's reefs isn't the tourist pressure, but the fishing pressure. Not only does fishing directly remove the top predators from an environment first, but it is also now removing the grazers such as Manini and Uhu, crucial for keeping corals from being overgrown by algae. It is true that Kaneohe Bay and nearshore south Oahu were overtaken by issues when the sewage effluent pipes were dumping to nearshore waters, but the government has since moved these offshore and Kaneohe Bay has seen an enormous rebound, in spite of the picture in the article. Kaneohe Bay's recovery would be even more complete if it had any urchins left, another grazer that is sought after for food and whose population has been depleted from overfishing there.

Who are these "many" who are in favor of returning the oceans to the locals? :confused:

While I admire the sustainable "traditional Hawaiian" provider/conservationist, there are not many modern Hawaiian's who follow the old ways and pretty much NO locals who do.

If you had spent time in the Pupukea waters prior to '02 you would see how pretty a popular ocean recreation spot can be when left to the "locals"; no fish to get in the way of the view of the pretty barren lava rock!

I question our reading comprehension, as I read that article and didn't get the "biased towards local action groups" part?

Kaneohe Bay's recovery would be even more complete if it had any urchins left, another grazer that is sought after for food and whose population has been depleted from overfishing there.

True, the removal of the sewage pipes from K-Bay has help with the algae. But the coastal construction of homes is leading to runoff, which increases the nutrients in the water. South Bay vis is worst and there is more algae growth when compared to North Bay (less coastal construction).

Development and runoff have a lot to do with eutrophication and sedimentation for sure.

Hale-my apologies for not reading the article through before commenting. I got to the part about what the state is not doing and quit reading. BTW, there is a local organization out there, I cannot remember their name, but they have the attention and historic loyalty of an influential ex-senator. Their purpose is to see Hawaii's coasts returned to Hawaiians. I only know of them through a knowledgeable coworker and haven't looked into it any further. I imagine it is a smaller part of the Hawaiian independence movement.

All I know is what I've seen at Shark's Cove and other places over the past 40yrs. I sadly agree with Buzzy Agard's comment from the first article "It's like the moon...". The loss is terribly obvious from looking at the tidepools. Back in the early 60's, these were aquariums of life. During late summer, the limestone pockets at Pupukea were full of juvenile raccoons, milletseeds, mamos, kupipi's, manini's, wrasses, aholeholes, crabs, opae shrimp, eels, anemones, sea lettuce, you-name-it. There was no need to dive. Simply sticking your face into a tidepool was enough to know the whole variety and health of the sea. But now, except for the odd hermit crab and jumping jack and bleached cowery and urchin, they're barren. The same can be said of Sandy Beach and Makapuu. Nanakuli. Yokohama Bay. Laie. Why, even the now muddy, stinking Ala Moana Park canal once supported millions of glass-bodied opae shrimp and blooms of delicate moon jellies. Maui has not escaped, especially its southern shores. Nor has the coast along Hilo and Kailua-Kona.

As stated by the quantum principle of microscopic phenomenon, we cannot even "passively" observe without disturbing the observed. Perhaps that truth also holds at the larger scale.

But all is not grim. In the main Ala Moana swimming channel, I've found large boulders and even whole large coral heads with clouds of domino damsels and butterflys and Moorish Idols; the resting spot of the larger of two resident turtles is a large boulder just a few tens of yards out from the east (Waikiki-side) lifeguard tower. A couple of weeks ago, I found a flame and Potter's angel, both swimming along some boat slips at the Heeia Kea boat ramp. Last summer near the Falls of Clyde, I again saw a trio of juvenile kagami (mirror-sided, threadfin trevally). They're all still out there. You just have to be more alert for the opportunities.

Last edited:
as i understand it most of the reef here was hammered by the last hurricane. last time i checked the general rule of thumb is "nothing lives forever" hate to say it but every living creature has a life cycle. i have dove parts of oahu that most people have not and i have seen some incredible sights.anyone can do a study and bend the findings to what they want. thats all most people do its how they make a living getting grants and funding to do studies. do you think the out come of the study is not going to lean toward them wanting to do more study.needing more money.

It beggars belief that although simple steps could be taken to reverse damage to fish and reef-life, they haven't been implemented. The lack of licenses for fisher-folk, for example. A lack of size restrictions (or the bare minimum) on the catch. Designating marine sanctuaries. And the result: Nothing. Apart from dying reefs and critters, of course.

My fiance is just starting out his career as a dive professional on here on Oahu. In his first week of employment, he spotted two critters - a Green turtle and a spotted eagle ray - with shark hooks jutting out of their flipper and mouth respectively, each trailing several yards of fishing line. On a weekend dive together, we also spotted a slate pencil urchin dangling several feet above a reef, completely snarled in fishing line. (Both the turtle and the ray voluntarily came close enough for my fiance to cut away the fishing line - there was NO harrassment involved. In the eagle ray's case, it was swimming so erratically and languidly, it was probably half-starved and therefore easy to get close. No such luck removing the hooks attached to the fishing-line that had snagged both animals, of course.) He also spent several minutes cutting the urchin free. This was during his FIRST week at work, and it was enough to break his heart. I dread to see what's going to confront him in the years ahead.

Seeing the gradual depletion of coral and fish due to human activity is one thing...but seeing first-hand the effects of human depredations of our oceans is quite another. Clearly, the rules and regulations protecting marine life currently in place (read: none) aren't working. Just for the hell of it: let's try something else. It might just work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom