Hawaii Marine Life ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matteo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
maybe this would be better served in the "meet the locals" sub-forum, if so mods, feel free to move it...but one of the things I'm most looking forward to on my upcoming trip is checking out the stuff that is completely endemic to this area and nowhere else on Earth..to get better acquainted ahead of time, I'm going to pick up a marine life ID card(similar in size to a dive table) and possibly a book or two for the plane ride over...anybody got any suggestions?

I have both of Johns books and they just brought outa new updated edition...very good books

I forgot when exactly you are coming! You are free to borrow some of my books..I have several copies of some of those. Who are you diving with?

Costco has them here too, just so you know.

catherine96821:
I forgot when exactly you are coming! You are free to borrow some of my books..I have several copies of some of those. Who are you diving with?

Costco has them here too, just so you know.

Arriving on the 28th of June and departing on the 11th of July. I'll be doing most, if not all of my diving with Roger and Lisa. I'd love for you and/or any other SB folks to join me for a dive or ten:D I'll post my diving schedule as soon as I have it all nailed down. And thank you for the book offer, but I'd like to pick it up here on the mainland first so I'll have something to entertain me on the looooooooooong flight! I've found that book and the plastic fish ID charts at Amazon, so I'll probably just do that. Only 11 more days!!:D

I'd also like to recommend John P. Hoover's "Hawaii's Fishes". Well laid out, lots of information and clear photos, and he also gives the Hawaiian names of the fish which is a small but nice touch that not all the other books provide.

Heartily second Hoover’s, I wouldn’t be caught with out them, boats on this island carry them. If you want something to read on the trip over and have as a reference for later I suggest Hawaiian Reefs A Natural History Guide by Rob Russo. “This book is intended for anyone who seeks to explore and better understand the reefs of Hawaii.” Has the common see ID for fish and the other stuff with additional tidbits such as reproduction and feeding. The cards; http://www.frankosmaps.com/Fish_Cards.htm

redrover:
Heartily second Hoover’s, I wouldn’t be caught with out them, boats on this island carry them.

Hey redrover, good to see you again :)

That's exactly why I just picked up that book, a friend of mine bought a 26 foot Glacier Bay Cat and we need to start stocking it with Dive accessories :)
I think Jack's had a copy onboard on our last club dive together.

Aloha,
Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom