Have you tested positive for COVID?

Have you tested positive for COVID?

• I didn’t test positive, but I had it.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • I tested positive, but was asymptomatic/minimal symptoms

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I tested positive, it was the worst.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I tested positive and was hospitalized.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I tested positive and am a long hauler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not been tested, nor have I been sick

Votes: 86 43.4%
  • I was tested negative

Votes: 81 40.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Investigation is fine, your assertion that use of a particular drug in pregnancy is implicated, while ignoring a million and one other factors known and unknown, is not. Take a read of The Real Reasons Autism Rates Are Up in the U.S. which discusses previous under reporting (or perhaps current over reporting depending on your point of view) and the related genetics articles.
Previous underreporting may play some role in the observed growth, sure. However, the article dates from 2017 and the author's prediction, that "Future estimates will be based on DSM-5 criteria [approved in 2013]—which may lower autism rates" has not come true. The prevalence since then has increased from 1 in 68 to 1 in 54 (CDC). Thus, the increased awareness may be a contributing factor, but it is unlikely to be the only factor.

I was not really aware of this reaction. The amount of pain from a vaccine should be minimal, unless there is some type of allergic reaction, right?
Good question. The 'pain' issue is more of a red herring in this case, than anything else. Vasovagal syncope is an autonomic nervous system response to a physical or visual stimulus. There is usually minimal 'pain' associated with an injection - i.e. a vaccination. The issue with an injection is whether or not the insertion of an object (e.g. a needle) into tissue will stimulate a physical response. And, it is not related to any 'allergic' reaction. You can have a syncopal episode without any pain or immune system response.

CDC reported today, Dec 19th, 272,000 vaccines have been given in the US and there have been 6 cases of allergic reactions, with one person having a history of allergic reactions.

CDC reported today, Dec 19th, 272,000 vaccines have been given in the US and there have been 6 cases of allergic reactions, with one person having a history of allergic reactions.
FWIW, speculation is it is the polyethylene glycol (PEG) component of the vaccine since there isn’t a lot of ingredients. PEG is the stuff in Miralax. So certainly if you have one of the rare allergies to Miralax you should discuss vaccination with your provider. But even without a known allergy to Miralax it is thought the technology/route (injection) may trigger the reaction and it might be an anaphylactoid reaction known as CAPRA (and this is highly speculative). The Moderna vaccine also contains PEG.

As an aside. It seems swelling of previous facial fillers was reported by Moderna during their clinical trials but is not unique to their vaccine. This has been seen with other vaccines as well including flu shots.

FWIW, speculation is it is the polyethylene glycol (PEG) component of the vaccine since there isn’t a lot of ingredients. PEG is the stuff in Miralax. So certainly if you have one of the rare allergies to Miralax you should discuss vaccination with your provider. But even without a known allergy to Miralax it is thought the technology/route (injection) may trigger the reaction and it might be an anaphylactoid reaction known as CAPRA (and this is highly speculative). The Moderna vaccine also contains PEG.

As an aside. It seems swelling of previous facial fillers was reported by Moderna during their clinical trials but is not unique to their vaccine. This has been seen with other vaccines as well including flu shots.

This is great news. I’ll be sure not to take my daily Metamucil on the days following my vaccinations.

This is great news. I’ll be sure not to take my daily Metamucil on the days following my vaccinations.

I showed this to my bride and she checked the label. PEG is not listed in the contents of Metamucil, unlike Miralax.

Related but off topic:
I should be OK since I recently had a colonoscopy that included prep using many times the normal Miralax dose mixed in a sports drink. No adverse reaction besides those intended. It was considerably less expensive and nasty tasting than the prescription prep though the volume you have to consume is about the same. It is supposed to be easier on your kidneys: Gatorade and Miralax Colonoscopy Instructions

I really don't like any of the Gatorade flavors I have tried but I found a clear sports drink with the same stuff and very little taste.

Hey guys. Remember this is all speculation and tolerance of the oral routes does not preclude reaction to the injectable form if it is even the cause.

I showed this to my bride and she checked the label. PEG is not listed in the contents of Metamucil, unlike Miralax.

You missed the joke. If I get a vaccine which contains PEG, why do I need to take Metamucil that day? :nyah:

You’ll feel crappy either way?

It was considerably less expensive and nasty tasting than the prescription prep though the volume you have to consume is about the same.
It wasn't the flavor of the prep which sucked most for me.

Having to hold on to the throne with both hands to avoid going airborne from the thruster effect, OTOH...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom