Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is actually a topic of conversation at the dive site and a couple of instructors enlightened me why they think that cave divers are often active for a few years and then they quit. To them the reason for that is that technical diving often attracts type A personalities, people that simply want to be the "peak" at whatever they do. So many people go into diving for that reason, and when they reach whatever peak they desire, they get bored and quit.
And why are so many of those people with DIR agencies like GUE? GUE often advertised as the "peak" agency for technical diving, with the highest standards for certification and their divers are doing the big expeditions.

Im a classic type A - high achiever in just about everything ive done, paradoxically diving has brought more calmness than I expected - i put it down in part to controlling my breathing and the whole ethos of slowing down to make your air last longer . I cant say ive reached a plateau theres alway another challenge, monitoring that challenge and making sure the odds are stacked in my favour, i suspect those type' As that give up reach a risk threshold they arent prepared to go beyond or realise that to continue will tip the scales of risk /reward, i guess its a sort of plateau but not in the context of the thread .
Then of course theres another group that go well beyond that and roll the dice - over and over.

Well, I have been to the Flower Gardens a couple of times, and they are kind of plateaus . Does that count?

Back
Top Bottom