Have time, will travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Such great ideas! I knew I could count on you guys.

Christmas Island sounds fascinating. I'm going to check that out for sure. Also the Orangutans, though that is something I would really like to do with Emily. I guess we could always go back together. Aussies to drink beer with.

I am such a poor excuse for a tourist that I am not so sure about Borobidor. Temples, yeah, hot and dusty, yeah, crowds of Chinese tourists, yeah...not so sure. We did like Angkor Wat and I could almost go back ! Part of that was the hotel, sure.

Thailand beaches...yeah, but I am not really a beach guy too much. Nice for a day here and there. I have light skin and blue eyes. We have been to Chaing Mai and did not like it, what can I say? A Thai city with some tourist elements. OK, fine. We enjoyed some things.

I do feel like I am missing something about Thailand, for sure. I have heard good things about Luang Prabang and Laos, generally.

KL and Panang - tell me.

What about India? There was a very cool-sounding dive + touring trip that Luko mentioned -- Andaman Islands & Chennai? Emily doesn't want to go. That could be financially stressful though.

Remember Bill's 3rd Rule: The best part of any trip is dreaming about how great it's going to be!

We're in USA in Trump Country and it's great to be thinking about Asia again!

- Big Beautiful Bill

I suggested KL and Panang as options to check out for good prices and close to diving without having to live in Indo.

I'm not a real beach type either but really enjoyed hanging at the beachside condo at Cha am. It has occurred to me since then that we may have enjoyed Prachuap more. I was hoping you'd go and advise me. Ha

You will be in Indonesia so why would you go anywhere else it's such a big country with so many things non-diving related to see, don't waste your time and money to fly somewhere else :)

I have heard good things about Luang Prabang and Laos, generally.

KL and Panang - tell me.

What about India? There was a very cool-sounding dive + touring trip that Luko mentioned -- Andaman Islands & Chennai? Emily doesn't want to go. That could be financially stressful though.
Luang Prabang one of the most pleasant and zen cities in South east Asia, temples and monks all around.Though isn't worth staying more than 4 days.

KL, well unless you are pining for traffic jams. Penang is better in that respect but it's a small island, I like it for 2 days sightseeing chinese old houses and foodtouring, apart from that...

India, if Emily doesn't want to go it's time to tour it, but then forget the Andamans if diving is not your primary goal (plus september might not be season for) You'd easily have 2 weeks worth of traveling in between Tamil Nadu and Kerala. India is not "financially stressful" at all. In three weeks you could couple one week touring Rajasthan north and south dravidian India, which are totally different cultures.

Luang Prabang one of the most pleasant and zen cities in South east Asia, temples and monks all around.Though isn't worth staying more than 4 days.

KL, well unless you are pining for traffic jams. Penang is better in that respect but it's a small island, I like it for 2 days sightseeing chinese old houses and foodtouring, apart from that...

India, if Emily doesn't want to go it's time to tour it, but then forget the Andamans if diving is not your primary goal (plus september might be season for) You'd easily have 2 weeks worth of traveling in between Tamil Nadu and Kerala. India is not "financially stressful" at all. In three weeks you could couple one week touring Rajasthan north and south dravidian India, which are totally different cultures.

THAT is a heck of an idea!

Personally Laos is my favourite SEA country - I love the scenery, the monks, the peace and gentleness of the people. Now they've cracked down on the Nam Song Tubing backpackers draw card there seems to be a "better class of tourists" if you will....streets a few years ago were not quite so crowded with banana trail lets get out of it and watch friends re runs set.

Also not a fan of KL or much of Malaysia TBH - too much traffic in KL, too busy for me although I do like Sarawak and the Orangutan sanctuary which is a good combo with Sipidan if you still want to get some diving in via Tawau. Is it just me or are Tawau and Manado same same no different? J/K

Is it just me or are Tawau and Manado same same no different? J/K
Oooh noooo... better food in Manado (Raja satay) almost Philippines like relaxed atmosphere unlike muslim chinese Tawau.
Talking about Sarawak, Kuching is a nice and quaint city but soooo hot down the river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom