Have the right gear ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gandalf-the-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently, I went on a local shore dive at a site that is a wall dive, spots over 100' deep, and wicked current if not at slack tide. (I should mention, this is a cold water, drysuit dive location) I dive as a self reliant buddy, and my dive buddy for the dive, packs twins; so we are both carrying redundant sources of air. (my SDI Solo course is in 9 days) While my buddy and I were starting to gear up, another local diver (who I have seen before, and heard has a DM cert) trudged by us to jump in, by himself. As he was climbing into the water, I looked over at my buddy and said, "he is not carrying any redundant air with him".
Not long after, the two of us are all geared up and about to climb down to the water, when, just offshore, the surface starts to boil and the single diver, pops up to the surface, the sound of rushing escaping air, filling the silence of the morning. He has had a catastrophic gear failure at depth, and it appears as if he had an uncontrolled ascent. Not sure if his reg was in free flow, or he had a hose go; but he proclaimed it happened to him at around 65', as he swam on his back to shore. I personally think this guy is now in the "lucky to be alive" club.
I have been diving less than a year, but I am pretty aware of the safety factor, redundant gear provides. If you do not have the proper gear and training for it, DO NOT DIVE SOLO. Conversely, if you are equipped, and trained, have at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom