Have I borked my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the employees at my LDS mentioned that they repair* (I forget the word he used) water in the first stage for $25. He also commented that it should be $100 instead due to the "mess it makes". I think he was talking about salt water though.

Someone asked about the Scubapro service interval, they require service once a year to maintain warranty, which would not apply here as the OP is not the original owner.
I wasn't sure and was wondering as the reg is likely due a service anyway if it is 12 month interval.

I am going to take a different tack here. Take the reg to your shop and tell them sheepishly that you realized that you had been rinsing the reg with out the cap on. Admit it and say "yeah I am an idiot" get it over with. At that that point you have admitted the error of you ways and the shop will do its thing - which should be a complete build.

Why take this route? What you do not tell them may kill you. With out full knowledge they may just do an inspection and adjustment and send you on your way. Which could be to Davey Jones' Locker if something happens while on a dive (especially as it appears you are new diver).

I am not trying to scare you here but give good advise as the rinse buckets while you think they are freshwater are at best brackish after about the third or forth person puts their wetsuit and bcd in it. The same can be said about mask rinse buckets (say no to them always as they are germ infested pools of snot).

Thanks everyone. I called my shop and they told me I am not the first person this has happened to. He said in their pool classes, students frequently forget to put the cap back on before rinsing (of course these regs are never exposed to salt water, only pool or fresh). He said it shouldn't mean my reg is ruined, the bigger issue would be if I got salt water in there. I know I have hosed it down with fresh water after diving in salt, so it's possible some got in there. I'll probably take it over for them to check it out anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom