Have Budget - Need Camera & Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
First, let me start by saying thanks to everyone that takes a moment to respond.

I did a live aboard in July and got my first taste of underwater photography. To my surprise, I REALLY enjoyed it. If for no other reason then it helped me to remember my dives. Plus it gave me another goal to my diving.

The camera that I used on the boat was a 3MP Sony. Don't remember which model, just know that it had a LONG lag from when I pushed the button to take the shot and when it snapped. Adjusted after a few shots, but still missed out on some shots during the week. It also did not have a strobe and the flash seemed useless. It left me knowing that I WANTED SOMETHING BETTER!

I've been looking at the new Sea Life DC500. The price is VERY attractive as it looks like with the "MAXX" package at Scuba Toys you get everything you need for $1300. My concern is that I am wrapping $1100 worth of equipment around a $200 camera that I will quickly outgrow.

One side of me wants to just jump right into a digital SLR and go with all top notch equipment. Besides not being able to afford 4-6K right now (having to buy new scuba equipment for wife also), it is probably WAY over the top for me right now.

I want something that I can learn with and potentially grow with. I’m not too concerned about having to scrape my first set of gear, as I would probably just put it on eBay or keep it as a backup. Although, it would be nice to stay in the same family line (i.e., Nikon, Olympus, Canon, etc).

But I do want to start off with something that if I do my job right, can produce VERY nice pictures. And as a new underwater photographer, I’m sure my picture taking will really run the gambit of macro to wide angle. Although, probably not too much macro at first. I’ve always enjoyed the bigger stuff myself.

With that, here is the budget I am looking at:

$1500

With that I would hope to get at a minimum a nice quality camera, a good housing, and a strobe (or 2).

Maybe I am CRAZY to think I can get started for that kind of money and should just stick with the DC500 from sea life. But what would YOU recommend for that kind of money???

Thanks EVERYONE!
Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry, can't help you with your decision, but I'd sure like to see the images you took with the 3 megapixel Sony. =)

Scott

I would look at the following options:
-Canon Axx series and Canon housing. PhotoTJ & Leogpacific use this sytem and it is more than capable of great results. I have an A75 as my backup, go anywhere, great little system. Love it. You can also extend the system by adding wet mate lenses and strobes. Depending on your next system, the lenses might even move with you. Make sure to spend a little on whatever strobe you choose as it should be able to move to whatever system you choose next.
-Olympus systems...there are a few out there. I love my 5050s. I think calypsonick is shooting an 8080 now - his images are in the gallery. The 5050s are discontinued, but you can still find them and they are certainly a grow with you camera. Again, they accept wet mate lenses (I use and love INON) and strobes.
- Fuji 810. Two choices of housings: Ikelite and Fuji. Pros and cons to each. This camera can be hard to find in US, but overseas suppliers still have them. In the US check with Ryan at ryan@reefphoto.com (please note he is out of touch for the rest of the week).

I wouldn't go with SeaLIfe cameras. I'd go with something like above.

The Canon S70 is getting some nice reviews, too, but I haven't used it.

Any system you get will have pros and cons. For some it's "lag time" for others a slow write time and for others no flexibility or high cost. It's a matter of deciding what you can compromise on and then working around the deficits. I shot the Canon A series for ages and never had a problem missing shots because of lag - others have a different view. When I moved to the Oly 5050 it drove me crazy with the long times I was getting to write an image and get a shot...with a bit of practice I was able to figure out how to maximise my shooting options and now it only bothers me some days :wink:

dslr is a huge commitment. not only cash, but learning curve, weight, size, limited flexibility etc. You really have to give a hard thought as to how much you will dive and if you are happy with the inherent limitation of having to choose a single lens for an entire dive. The vast majority of divers I see wouldn't be happy with that - and there are certainly cameras that give you excellent images, a lower price tag and more flex per dive. On the other hand, the dslrs shoot really fast so that lag time is nil...

Good luck shopping and let us know if you have any questions!

Michael,

You could get a decent camera, housing and strobe if you shop around. If you don't plan on printing pictures beyond 8x10, you can get away with 3-4MP digital camera. Canon, Olympus, Nikon and Fuji all have great digital cameras in the $150-400 range that would provide a great start for you. A lot of these manufacturers have their own housings that range from $150-$250. You can get better prices from eBay, craigslist.org, or pre-owned from other divers.

For strobes there's the Inon D180 (discontinued) and the D2000 (new model). These work great with Point and shoot cameras with prices from $~200 for the D180 and $~500 for the D2000. Sealife came out with an entry-level strobe for ~$300 that works with a lot of the point and shoot cameras. There are other strobes out there, but I'm not familiar with them: Epoque, Sea and Sea, etc.

In addition to the strobes, you'll need a tray and arms to connect the strobe, camera and lenses together. Ultralight is one of the more popular brands, and Inon and Sea and Sea have their own versions as well.

I spent about $2000 for my underwater rig. Canon Powershot S40 (4MP), WpDC300 housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Inon Wide angle lense and macro lense, and 5" Ultralight arms and tray. For a sample of my pictures, check out my gallery or check out http://photos.yahoo.com/scubajunkee.

Good Luck!

Ericson

Talon:
First, let me start by saying thanks to everyone that takes a moment to respond.

I did a live aboard in July and got my first taste of underwater photography. To my surprise, I REALLY enjoyed it. If for no other reason then it helped me to remember my dives. Plus it gave me another goal to my diving.

The camera that I used on the boat was a 3MP Sony. Don't remember which model, just know that it had a LONG lag from when I pushed the button to take the shot and when it snapped. Adjusted after a few shots, but still missed out on some shots during the week. It also did not have a strobe and the flash seemed useless. It left me knowing that I WANTED SOMETHING BETTER!

I've been looking at the new Sea Life DC500. The price is VERY attractive as it looks like with the "MAXX" package at Scuba Toys you get everything you need for $1300. My concern is that I am wrapping $1100 worth of equipment around a $200 camera that I will quickly outgrow.

One side of me wants to just jump right into a digital SLR and go with all top notch equipment. Besides not being able to afford 4-6K right now (having to buy new scuba equipment for wife also), it is probably WAY over the top for me right now.

I want something that I can learn with and potentially grow with. I’m not too concerned about having to scrape my first set of gear, as I would probably just put it on eBay or keep it as a backup. Although, it would be nice to stay in the same family line (i.e., Nikon, Olympus, Canon, etc).

But I do want to start off with something that if I do my job right, can produce VERY nice pictures. And as a new underwater photographer, I’m sure my picture taking will really run the gambit of macro to wide angle. Although, probably not too much macro at first. I’ve always enjoyed the bigger stuff myself.

With that, here is the budget I am looking at:

$1500

With that I would hope to get at a minimum a nice quality camera, a good housing, and a strobe (or 2).

Maybe I am CRAZY to think I can get started for that kind of money and should just stick with the DC500 from sea life. But what would YOU recommend for that kind of money???

Thanks EVERYONE!
Michael

My brother has the new sony 7something mp camera, smaller than my hand and a very, very fast shutter. I just took some top side photos with it, but the shutter was impressively fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom