Hauling Dive Gear on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BC_diver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm traveling to Costa Rica in February for lots of diving, a bit of surfing, some jungle trekking and what ever else I get talked into! I have three weeks and the plan is to start in Playa del Coco and head south. I'm traveling solo and not exactly rich; accommodations will be budget (I really just need a place to keep my stuff, sleeping is optional! haha).

I'll have a backpack for my cloths and stuff, camera bag, and then all my dive gear and housing/strobes in a rolling dive case. Seems like it's a lot of stuff, especially if I get off the beaten track and away from pavement like I hope (i.e. no longer able to roll my gear)! I've done this before in Thailand minus the camera equip and had no real issues but from what I've read it seems a bit tough to do the route I want. Anyone had any issues traveling around the Pacific Coast? Are the roads and buses as rough as they sound on Lonely Planet?

Plus all that stuff is worth a fortune! How safe is my camera equipment and dive gear? Especially in lower end accommodations! Do dive shops offer secure storage for gear even if you’re not staying at their packaged hotels (although some of them seem to be a good deal if combined with diving)? Are there safes or lockers anywhere? Or is this needed?

I hope this isn't too long of a question(s)!

Thanks!

Most of the dive shops will have secure storage for your equipment. the public buses are fine just watch what you leave overhead inside. Either have it directly under your feet or stored under the bus with secure tickets. THe best bet if you want to be more secure is to take interbus. Check them out on the web. They are very secure hotel-hotel travel. (Or hostel!). I know that the hostels in San Jose offer storage whilst you travel around and this may be the case for some of the other hostesl. Just for info i had left bags previously at Tranquillo backpackers. Once a bag went missing and they subsequently told me that one of their employees had been taking bags but had since been fired. Since then (3 years ago) there haven't been any problems. As a dive shop we offer storage no matter where you are staying. STARTPAGE. If you are getting off the beaten track i would store it so that you can travel a bit lighter. If you give me an idea where you want to go in Costa Rica i can get you some more info.

Thanks for the info! I was looking at interbus and it seems like a great way to get to the popular spots, starting off points. I'm going from Feb 10 to 25 and will hopefuly make it from Playa del Coco to as far south as Cano Island, with a stop or two in the middle for jungle trecks or something. We'll see, plans never seeem to go as umm... well, planned.

Good to know that I can store gear, paid I assume? I've looked at your site before and it's bookmarked!

You can store your equipment at Rich Coast Diving as well, we do not charge for this service.
Costa Rica is pretty save, the biggest crime is usually the tourist mistake by leaving luggage unattended or in the car. They seem to open cars in a few minutes without anybody seeing it.
The busses are pretty save as well, just remember to keep your valuables on you also on bathroom stops.
Have fun and enjoy Costa Rica, you'll love it!

Back
Top Bottom