Has this happened to you before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yesterday I decided to purchase another T2i camera body, seein's how I have a significant investment in the housing, and the camera is now two revisions removed from current and becoming increasingly difficult to find. So I went online, shopped around, and chose a rather well-known online camera shop to make my purchase. I also decided that, since I now will have two camera bodies, I'll use one topside on my trips and so I purchased a telephoto lens to go with it.

Some hours later I got an email from them informing me that there was a problem with my order, and that I should call this number to resolve it.

I made that call this morning. When I finally got through to a representative, he immediately informed me that there was no problem ... that it was their policy to check with the purchaser to make sure the purchase was valid (i.e. not a stolen credit card) before processing the order. OK ... I think that's a nice service, and I told him so.

He then proceeded to ask me if I'd like the two-hour or four-hour battery for the camera. I asked how much extra the four hour battery would be (assuming he was looking to upsell me on a better battery) and he said $30. So I said I'll take the four-hour battery. He then asked me if I'd like a 8G or 16G memory card. Knowing that memory cards don't normally come with the camera (unlike batteries), I asked him how much the cards cost. He said the 8G card was $129 and the 16G card was $169 ...

:shocked:

At this point some red flags went up and I figured I'd better back up and ask a few more questions ...

"So let's get back to the battery for a moment. Doesn't the camera normally come with one?"

"Yes, but that's only a one-hour battery."

"I see ... so when you asked me about a 2-hour or 4-hour battery, you weren't looking to upgrade the one that's included with the camera."

"No sir ... you would be purchasing a second battery."

"I see ... so how much do these 2-hour and 4-hour batteries actually cost?"

"The 2-hour battery is $99 and the 4-hour battery is $129."

"I see ... well then, let's just go with the battery that's included with the camera. I'm sure it will be sufficient."

"But if you purchase a second battery I can upgrade your shipping and offer you a smart charger for only $99."

"Thanks, but I already have a spare battery and charger for that camera. I really don't need those."

This went on for a couple more minutes until the person got the idea that I wasn't going to be purchasing any additional items at ridiculously marked-up prices.

I will admit that this is the first time I've done business with this particular vendor ... the ones I normally would consider showed the T2i to be out of stock on their websites.

I'm wondering if something like that hasn't happened to others purchasing photography equipment ... and have I so far just been lucky not to have run into this type of upselling.

And although I've seen this vendor's name on the Internet before, I'm hoping this is the only real concern I'm going to have with this transaction.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That sounds like one of the camera dealers located in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York. Quite often they have cheap prices on cameras (some are gray market). They make their money on accessories. I have heard stories of people not getting their camera orders most likely because they did not order extras.

Yesterday I decided to purchase another T2i camera body, seein's how I have a significant investment in the housing, and the camera is now two revisions removed from current and becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Sounds like you went to one of the New York rip off camera dealers. Usually after the battery he was trying to sell you you find out there isn't a battery charger included.. etc. etc. and the cost keep piling up.

I would cancel the order immediately and call your credit card company before you get a used camera or it shows up in a month or two (used).

Go to B&H, Adorama, Canoga Camera or Norman Camera and get what you pay for, plus good service to boot.

Sounds like you went through a dodgy company. I hate those guys and won't use them, even if there's some money to be saved.

Often, you'll think the order has gone through and then a week later you'll get a message saying that they are "out of stock" or something and the order is being held or canceled.

Oh and the batteries that have come with my Canon dslr last far friggin longer than 1 hour :)

I agree with going with a reputable retailer and my list looks a lot like Chris's above :)

Please do let us know what happens! (and, yes, I'd be canceling the order etc as Chris suggested, too)

There are whole websites devoted to these highly advertised, highly incestuous camera shops in NY store fronts. They advertise cheap prices on stuff they don't have, tell you they're out of something and sub a lower level lens, etc. without permission. They sell you a "kit" that is useless or cheap and cheesy at a ridiculous price. They backorder something and hold your credit card number hostage while they try to "upgrade" you to a cheaper product at a higher price. First thing to do before attempting an online purchase from anyone other than B & H, Adorama, and other major sellers is go online and search "consumer complaints for ...... camera".

I'm wondering if something like that hasn't happened to others purchasing photography equipment ... and have I so far just been lucky not to have run into this type of upselling.

And although I've seen this vendor's name on the Internet before, I'm hoping this is the only real concern I'm going to have with this transaction.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
It seems that they can be very persuasive. You'll probably recognize the sales pitch in this 2003 article: Camera Confidential | PCWorld

A photographer called Don Wiss has a set of pictures showing what these stores look like in reality:
Brooklyn Camera/Electronic Dealer StoreFronts
donwiss.com/pictures/ManhattanStores/
Camera and Electronics Dealer StoreFronts in Other Locations

Good luck!

I went through the same routine when I bought one of my slide scanners some years back, from one of the Brooklyn sellers. I refused to buy any accessories. I eventually got my scanner, but it took a while for delivery. Aside from the hard sell and the slow delivery, though, I had no complaints. They were significantly cheaper.

Sorry, but I got a chuckle. I worked at a camera store through High School and most of University, basically through the '70's. We flogged the cameras at virtually no margin, but more than made up for it in film and batteries. Of course you "needed" a lense cap tether, wider strap, etc. Give them a bargain and "set the hook".

The similarities in purchasing dive equipment and camera gear at the store-front is striking. In what other retail businesses (Canada and US, and excluding autos) do customers bargain and ask for discounts?

Sorry for the "off topic" interlude.

You were unlucky to order from one of these dodgy outfits that advertise cheap, get you to call in and try and wrangle money for worthless extras. I only deal with bhphotovideo, adorama or amazon (not from third party sellers) when buying expensive electronics. Just like you, I called one of the pirate outfits a few years ago and it took me a while of repeatedly saying no to the offers before canceling the order. I called VISA and had them issue a new credit card number as the guy who tried to sell the junk was fairly hacked off at failing to persuade. I'm not sure how the owners of outfits like these are able to remain out of prison.

I like the idea of getting a spare camera body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom