Has anyone tried the new SHAKER light for a backup light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To all divers,

I have been reading some of the comments about LED lights and diving. I first would like to say that I have a LED back up dive light.It is the NightStar Magnetic Emergency Light. I use to keep a battery powered back up light in my BC. Many times I when to use it and it was out of charge. The Nightstar is always going to be there. It requires no batteries. I find It to be as bright as needed for a back up dive light. It is tested to 400 ft. and I know of one cave diver that has had it to 300ft himself. I find it to be as bright as some of the other small back up battery lights on the market.
One of the features that I like about it is that the LED light creates no back scatter off of particals in the water. This is why many fire dept like this light. It cuts right through the smoke. The LED creates a blueish light which is better for not creating back scatter off of particals in the water.
It is one sealed unit. There is no way for water to get in the NightStar. it has a slight positive bouyance. Not enough for extra wieght to be added to yourself. Perfect for boaters like myself.
Whether you dive every weekend or once a year you can be assured that it is going to work. It can sit in your dive bag for years. All your have to do is just shake it for a few seconds and you have a light.
I myself will always dive with my NightStar as a back up. I like the feeling of knowing that it is there and requires no batteries. No bulbs to break or burn out. No batteries to buy. What more could you ask for in a back up light.

sound like commercials for this light? Your low post count and incredibly high knowledge of this product tend to make me feel that we are being played on by either the manufacturer or the salesman. Not sure I like the approach.

FWIW, several divers that I know and trust have come out unequivically against the use of LEDs (even multiple bulb units) as primary or backup lights. I think I will listen to them on this, and stick to the traditional tungsten or HID lamps. When it comes to trying out new stuff, I am all for it and have done it. That being said, many of us have tried LEDs in the suds and they come out lacking on many levels.

Anyday / Anytime ...

THIS is the only way to go!

Trust me, use 'em once and you'll never want anything else!

=-)

Personally, I would NEVER buy a product based on some blatantly obvious, grammatically-fractured infomercial testimonial like the one posted by (gawd, spare me) Sharkkiller.

(BTW, if you're trying to hawk dive lights on our board, that particualr name will not likely endear you to the majority of the diving community. Most of us tend to cop an attitude about folks who are into killing the marine life we go to see...)

Neptune, were you smirking while you typed that...? I think I smell sarcasm...

We now return to our reguarly scheduled program, "BP/Ws...Are They Formal or Casual?"

My LDs owner showed me a shaker light last week. It's an extremely cool Idea and very good for what it does.

Would I take it diving? no
It has a large air-filed area inside->floats what a pain underwater.

it is defineltley not super bright. We had to take it into a darkened closet to see it's illumination pattern. I don't think we could se it's bright spot at all inside the store aiming it at the roof.

However I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my car. I've found this kind of light better for repairs and working on stuff because it's not so absurdly bright.

Diving, no

and, it's too big to fit in a pocket.

A great back up dive light would be a Princeton Tec Surge.
HTH,
Rice

Would I dive with an L.E.D. light as my back up? Yes.

In Roatan, the daytime vis was about 100'. At night, with just a Cyalume stick, vis was nearly 10'. My Princeton Tec Attitude (3 L.E.D.) is a LOT brighter than a Cyalume stick! In a lit up office building, it throws a beam that is bright enough to hurt your eyes. It is my all time favorite camping flashlight. How well does it work on a night dive? I don't know. The bugger leaked in 45' of water, on a (daylight) dive early in the week... but it was a pretty decent light on daytime dives to shove into an overhang.

A great dive light? Not really. A decent backup, or even backup to your backup? Yes.

...and since it really ISN'T all that hideously bright, I can turn it on at the begining of the dive, and leave it on as a marker light without worrying that I'll blind someone... or even turn it on while trying to gear up on a dark boat. I could turn it on the day before the dive for that matter. It'll run 100 hours on 4 AAA batteries.

If you're thinking I sell 'em, you might want to re-read the part where I said it leaked, but most people have not reported that problem with Princeton Tec lights. Heck, I just bought two more of the little things. Well yeah, I bought the extras for camping, but I'm still keeping ONE at the bottom of a BCD pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom