Has anyone tried the new SHAKER light for a backup light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
I have seen the new shaker light, and wondered if anyone has tried to use it diving.

It is rated to 180ft., and is supposed to be almost unbreakable.
Impervious to salt water.

Just shake for 30 seconds and it stays lit for approx. 5-15 minutes.
Never needs batteries.

It works off a bright LED, so no more bulb replacements needed.

Here is a link:
Shaker Light in several colors (even YELLOW)

If the LED is not focusable, stay away from it. I purchased a dive LED and now use it for camping or work outside at night. The light is too diffuse without a way to focus it.

My only other concern would be having to shake a light under a stressful situation. Maybe no big deal, but another thing to worry about at a time when you shouldn't have to.

The light output can be viewed on their webpage. I believe the LED may be SUPER bright.... but was hoping others may have direct experience with these.

I agree this would not be the light to use in some STRESS situations. On the other hand.... it could eleviate some stress if you are not worried about THIS backup light running out of battery power. I thought it would give sort of a warm comfy feeling in a cave or wreck as a backup only light. Or perhaps a backup.... BACKUP light. :) Knowing that you will always (never say that).... have light if you need it.

30 seconds of shaking for 5-15 minutes of light..

Although methinks that 30 seconds of shaking while underwater is not going to be as effective as in air.
Shake for 30 secs.
Swim for 2 minutes.
Stop.
Shake for 30 secs.
Repeat.

Just an all around bad idea. I tried one of the 7 LED lights UW with the same result as DD. Not even as a backup folks.... you would be better off with a candle... at least you could wax your zipper with it.

BTW: the thing floats... just what you don't need in piece of dive gear.

BlueDolphin once bubbled...
The light output can be viewed on their webpage. I believe the LED may be SUPER bright.... but was hoping others may have direct experience with these.

I agree this would not be the light to use in some STRESS situations. On the other hand.... it could eleviate some stress if you are not worried about THIS backup light running out of battery power. I thought it would give sort of a warm comfy feeling in a cave or wreck as a backup only light. Or perhaps a backup.... BACKUP light. :) Knowing that you will always (never say that).... have light if you need it.

These lights ARE super bright, and that's part of they're problem. Without focusability, it just kicks back into your face from any sediment in the water. There is also no "throw distance" at all-the light just comes out in a big, bright, wide pattern just in front of the lens.

You'll do better with a less expensive light like the Scout or similar as a backup light.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Just an all around bad idea. I tried one of the 7 LED lights UW with the same result as DD. Not even as a backup folks....

Out of curiousity, which light did you try out (manufacturer and model). I was doing some research on these for a present, and it would be nice if they could also be used as a backup light ala the Scout, since they appear to be the same form factor. (The Scout light is also non-focusable, which apparently is a good thing in a backup light else Halcyon wouldn't be making it, right? :wink:

Apparently there is a quite a lot of difference in LED lights, even ones that use the same # of LEDs.

Nate

newton once bubbled...
The Scout light is also non-focusable, which apparently is a good thing in a backup light else Halcyon wouldn't be making it, right?

The Halcyon Scout light is built around a standard Underwater Kinetics SL4 reflector and bulb assembly. It is fixed in a tight beam focus. Making an adjustable focus backup light would be pointless since the output is only 5W and it needs to be an effective signalling tool.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/ProductDisplay_prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=5184.htm
http://www.halcyon.net/lights/scout.shtml

As others have pointed out, the LED dive lights can't be properly focused for signalling. The reason for this is that there are at least 3, and maybe as many as 7, individual LEDs instead of a single point source. It isn't practical to build a reflector that will focus light from multiple sources into a tight beam.

You might be able to build a decent video light from LEDs since a diffuse beam is an asset for that application.

but diving is not one of them. I own the 7 LED model and it's great for a white light when camping. Totally useless in the water. As DD said, the light does not "throw" very well.

I use a single LED pencil light for inspecting cylinders, and the blue one will cause oils to shine... great for checking cleanliness. I use the really tiny one for back packing. Yeah, they have their place, but it ain't in the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom