Has anyone had any luck recovering a flooded GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vytaswashere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I stupidly took my GoPro Hero 7 Black without the protective housing for a scuba dive and it flooded. It was a very shallow dive and the whole dive I spent at 6-7 meters (20 feet). It flooded after 45 minutes underwater. Annoyingly 5 minutes before we ended the dive.
Noticed the water inside once I pressed the top button and it didn't feel right. Spent hours with it in the water snorkeling and cliff diving before and never had an issue. Always rinsed it in fresh water after and cleaned any salt build up of the doors.
The thing is when GoPro says it's waterproof to 10 meters (30 feet), I kind of expect it to be waterproof for at least a few hours. But my guess is they don't know themselves. Does anyone know what their test procedures are?
Anyway, I tried drying it out and when it didn't work took it apart to clean the motherboard from corosion damage which didn't work either.
Has anyone managed to recover a flooded GoPro?

Made a video about taking the GoPro apart if anyone is interested:

I flooded a Hero4 on a deep saltwater dive. After getting on the boat, immediately removed battery and soaked well in fresh water, then packed in a bag of rice for a week. The back LCD screen was dead but it otherwise worked. I later sold it cheap to a guy who just wanted to mount it on a drone.

In your case, sounds like some parts were shorted out. Also sounds like you didn't soak and clean right away but let it dry first. I wish you luck but I doubt you'll find it. Upgrade excuse.

I flooded a Hero4 on a deep saltwater dive. After getting on the boat, immediately removed battery and soaked well in fresh water, then packed in a bag of rice for a week. The back LCD screen was dead but it otherwise worked. I later sold it cheap to a guy who just wanted to mount it on a drone.

In your case, sounds like some parts were shorted out. Also sounds like you didn't soak and clean right away but let it dry first. I wish you luck but I doubt you'll find it. Upgrade excuse.
I know, I probably shorted it and it won'w work anymore. next time will know what to actualy do. more curious about other people experience of bringing it back to life after flooding? thanks for the reply

Reactions: OTF
Mine flooded while in he housing. Got a new one from gopro :)

Flooded mine while in California. Friend I was staying with is an electrical engineer. Gave it to him for an inspection. The phrase "cool, you can see where it was arcing across the traces" was what told me it was done.

Since you already have the unit torn apart, I wouldn't give up on the electronics assuming the battery was pulled before any major corrosion had time to build up.

Start with running the electronics under cool water and scrub with an old but clean toothbrush. Shake/pat dry and make a second/third pass until everything looks clean. If heavy corrosion, soak in demineralized water first. Finish by rinsing in demineralized water and then spray down (including under componets) with CRC electronics cleaner. Let dry overnight. You can consider placing in an oven @~150 degrees, but make sure the CRC has had at least a few hours to evaporate from underneath any components first as it's flash point is below 150. Also substitute distilled for demineralized water if you can't find demineralized. Distilled water is considered more pure / safe to drink but quality demineralized water is non-conductive.

I recently recovered a GoPro Hero 8 Black that someone else dropped. I've dried it out, but not attempted to turn it on yet, partially because I don't have a battery-charger for it. I also managed to remove the front lens-cover, and clean that out, because that was flooded. I'm a little nervous about the idea of taking it apart further, given it looks like I'd have to buy a replacement front plastic piece.

I did manage to get a 2 minute recording of a stranger dropping their camera in the water though off the SD card, and then watch it sink to the bottom, followed by about 45 minutes of tiny fish swimming by. I'd guess the camera was down there for about a month, because the file-date (Dec 31st) was obviously inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom