Has anyone dived Blackbeard Cruises in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The reason I'd like some feedback is because I just won a seven-day Cruise!
So how about it? What is it like and how does their operation work?
Of course I'm excited about the cruise (which has to be arranged, so I'd also like to know when the best time to go is, what gear to take, etc...), but I'd certainly enjoy hearing from SB'ers who have been there and their opinions and advice.
Thanks for any info you can provide!

I've never been on a Blackbeard's cruise but have booked a trip with them the week of Thanksgiving.

Of course I'm excited about the cruise (which has to be arranged, so I'd also like to know when the best time to go is, what gear to take, etc...), but I'd certainly enjoy hearing from SB'ers who have been there and their opinions and advice.

Great. I've been twice and really loved it, but it is a very different experience. There is not much privacy, you cannot retreat to a cabin. It really is camping at sea. You will really get to know your shipmates. My first trip was people aged 30-60 I would say and the last one was aged 21-55.

You might want to read Dandy Don's complaints about his trip

The diving is fun, you will do 20 dives or so in the space of the week (3-4/day). There is no nitrox.

I went in March and October. October was preferable. Warmer and the sea was smooth as glass.

I've dove with blackbeards. Really fun trip and some good diving. Don't expect much privacy and there's not much personal space. Dove in March, I wore a skin and a shorty on most of my dives but I'm warm natured. I am comfortable in Vortex with a 3/2 fullsuit. It was lobster season so we ate a lot of lobster.

I went on Blackbeard's over New year 1986/1987. Great trip. It's not luxurious and there isn't a lot of personal space. Personally, I'd go in May. That was about my favorite weather in Miami.

I went 2005 and 2006. Really excellent operation. Both was the last week of May / First week of June. Our shop books Bahama's trips at this time, because the weather is consistently great. It is after winter and before the Hurricane season. In 15 years our groups haven't had more than a rainstorm and have had a thoroughly great experience. Mark

I've been in August and April. Both good weather, water was warmer in August(of course). I loved both my trips. The crew is great, food is good, accommodations clean but not spacious. If you are single see if you can get a bunk in the galley. 2X the space, just bring ear plugs for the early AM breakfast noise. Have a great time.

You can put in a request for a specific bunk. Some people really like the galley because they are big. For me, it was not very good. Activity on the boat ends around 10:00 and the cook starts at 5 or 6. I'm a light sleeper, so I was much happier in a tiny bunk in the front.

Looking at old threads, you will see lots on the crossing from Miami. That's not an issue anymore since the boats are always in the Bahamas.

When are you planning on going? I was on Blackbeard's 2 yrs ago & going again in about 4 weeks. Most of what everyone said is true. There's not really much room. I was lucky on my first trip. in that there were only 9 of us on board (8 were divers, 1 non- diver), so space wasn't too awful bad. Yes, food was good. The biggest things I would recommend is 1. pack as absolutely light as you can, because there's not much space. I will only pack 2-3 shirts & shorts. You will be wet most of the time, so lots of clothes not really necessary. 2. be prepared for not much privacy. A little curtain over your bunk is about it for the most part. 3. when on deck, there can be very little shade. Even when the shade tarp is out, depending on the sun's position, it can be rough. 4. The toilets are manual flush & a little bit tricky until you get used to them. 5. the showers are unlimited salt water & 30 seconds of fresh water. This is because of the fresh water making capacity of the boats. I slept in the forward cabins. Not too bad, considering it was just me & a lady (the non- diver). Hoping this trip will be just as good as the last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom