Has Anyone Been to the O with Down Under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We have a trip to the Oriskany with Down Under later this month.

Has anyone been on one of these trips with them?

Can you give me a report on the operation?

Pm me if necessary.

Thanks!!

Tom Smedley:

Pm me if necessary.

Thanks!!

I have not been out with them in a few years, the operation was good when I went though. A local DM went to the O with them a month or so ago and all I got was good feedback from him.

Tom Smedley:

Pm me if necessary.

Thanks!!

I haven't been to the Oriskany with them, but I've been on one of their charters several years ago and was happy with how they ran the boat.

When I was on their trip, they did a "triple head count" type system to make sure everyone is on board after a dive.
* first the do a number headcount.
* second they do a roll call by name after each dive
* third, they use a DAN "tag out board" that is mounted to one of the tables. each diver gets a tag they attach to your BC. After each dive, you have to return the tag to the board. The captain can look down from the wheel deck to the board and see that he has X number of divers still in the water or all are on board based on this board. While you had to take your tag off between dives, it wasn't that much of a hassle and made you feel good they had these measures in place.

Their boat is a Newton Dive Special. 46' I think. Open back for easy exit and re-entry. The front half of the lower deck is covered so you can get out of the sun. They had a marine head in the forward area.

When I was out with them last, we had a really bad current and they put out a very long (300' plus) tag line. One of the deck hands floated out to the end of the line to assist divers. We had one buddy set come up downstream of the tag line and started a surface drift. The captain stayed on the upper deck with a pair of binoculars keeping track of them until they recovered the other divers and could go get them. he also did several VHF channel 16 broadcast to alert other boaters that he had divers drifting in the current near X location and to be aware. So I they definately handled the situation pretty good.

Anwway... hope that helps. They could have changed crew since then, but I was pretty happy with them the day we went out with them.

-Mike

no, but I took the Y-Knot (a six pack) out there on Saturday Aug 4. It took us about an hour to get there. We had the O to our selves the entire first dive.... We could see the DU coming during out SI. They finally arrived during the end of our second dive and spewed what seemed to be 100 divers into the water (it was probably 20).
I took a picture of all the bubbles...
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/79465/cat/500/ppuser/66091

it was a perfect morning and we were back by lunch

Hey, when you get out there, look for those tiny little bright blue light thingies.
At 110-120' I saw little things (jellies of some sort i guess), they glowed bright blue, I mean BRIGHT blue. When I got near one it turned it's light off and scooted away.. They were lots more below 140'.

I have not been on a charter with them yet, but I did stop in and talk with them this past weekend to see what other trips they had coming up. They were super nice, and I talked with them for a while.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about ‘em from other people.

:cheers:

CivilE

Tom Smedley:

Pm me if necessary.

Thanks!!

Tom I’ve took a many of trips with DU over the years not as many since the new owner took over. They pride themselves on being a National Geographic’s dive company and eco friendly. They were always big on roll calls which is a great thing as we all know. The Dive masters were always well trained and gave a detailed assessment of each dive

The only trouble I have had with them over the years was with their rental gear . It seemed each time I had a buddy visiting that needed gear we would be coursed with bad luck with BC’s from their shop
They have a great boat usually filled with a lot of new divers or ones that need to brush up some on skills

Bottom line is you will more than likely have a safe fun time with them. If you have any problems ask for Brian. Even though I’m local here I don’t use the shop so much do to it being a larger boat and many Tourist so I’m not trying to make a sell for them

I' m a regular customer of Down Under.Made lots of trips with them. Everybody is very nice and helpful.I dove the Oriskany twice-with them and when I'll be going there again-Down Under dive shop will be the one to take me there.Definitely!
Enjoy the trip!!

Thanks for all the replies.

I haven't dived on the O with them but I do know Brian and the new owner personally. They are professional and take pride in what they do. Safety is a concern and they care about their guests. Yes, they do have tourists and new divers many times but you can't necessarily blame them as they are right on 59 by the beach and, for the most part, are the only readily visible dive shop in GS. I'm not knocking any of the other shops, but living there you can very easily get by without driving by the other shops while DU is very conspicuous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom