has anybody owned an older cressi sub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pops

Reaction score
I just bought an older (maybe 2 years) Cressi Sub regulator FX3 and Octupus (FX Pro) brand new but stored for a while on a closed dive shop's shelves.
The price was right and it appears to be a good system (and even comes with a parts and dissambly manual) - has abybody got experience with this reg and maybe could give me a heads up if it has any dangerous characteristics?
I'm strictly an open water diver but notice that the second stages are very simple and can be opened and cleaned in a few moments with bare hands - probably even underwater - may be very low tech.

In any case, regulators are relatively low tech pieces of equipment, but due to their use as a critical, life support system, should be serviced regularly by someone who knows what he is doing and has the replacement parts for it.

I would advise against servicing your own equipment, having no prior experience (and from your post it looks like it).

At the same time, you should not use a regulator that was on the shelf for a long time, without a checkup and service. The unit contains sealing parts that tend to dry out or get damaged and need to be replaced from time to time.

Do yourself a favor and get the thing serviced.

Ari :)

I agree with Ari, it's a good idea to have the reg at least "looked at", and that should include checking the reg's IP & rubber condition.
A 5 year shelf life isn't unreasonable, as long as it was in a moderately well sealed container/box.
That being said, Cressi is a very old & respected dive gear manufacturer. Their regs are considered to be decent mid-range performers that will handle a lot of abuse & keep on ticking.
I have only one, but wouldn't hesitate to snap up another if the price was right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom