harness style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something good to compare to: Webbing a Harness

(lose two D-rings from this config.)

That's a nice descriptive informational. I agree about losing the two extra shoulder d-rings - I don't know anyone who'd put double d-rings there.

For most divers (who won't be scootering) I think you can lose the front crotch-strap d-ring also. The site says such a d-ring is "very useful", but I really don't know what you'd want to clip off onto it (other than a scooter), as it'd be as dangly as a very dangly thing.

Nice choice of bp/w. That's the same setup I'm using. :wink:

As for the 5' vs 7' hose, I found the 5' hose to be a tad short for my liking. It routes under the armpit as opposed to under a can light or just tucked into the waist. Then again, I'm 6 ft with a kind of long neck so ymmv.

Do you use a s.t.a with you set up. I was planning not to, to keep it more streamline.

That's a nice descriptive informational. I agree about losing the two extra shoulder d-rings - I don't know anyone who'd put double d-rings there.

For most divers (who won't be scootering) I think you can lose the front crotch-strap d-ring also. The site says such a d-ring is "very useful", but I really don't know what you'd want to clip off onto it (other than a scooter), as it'd be as dangly as a very dangly thing.

-thanks go to Trace...

Half the fun of a BP/Wing is taking the minimalist configuration and adding what you really need based on your experience and diving. If you decide you want an extra D-Ring, buckle or whatever, its simple to add EXACTLY where you want it. If you start off with the deluxe with all the bells and whistles you are stuck with them and don't really know if you need them or could have done without. They are put where someone else thought they would work, which may or may not work for you.

I learned 2 tricks that hard way.
1) Leave lots of spare strap available, I cut one set too short when fitting in dry clothing vs dry suit.
2) Use a metal putty knife heated with a torch to cut & melt the straps in one swipe. It leaves a nice, clean edge.

No STA needed. The Hog wing has built-in strips along the cam band slots that help hold a scuba cylinder very well once the cam bands are tightened (using two cam bands). I did get two sets of plastic book screws to keep the wing attached to the backplate but that's more for convenience. Once you have the cam bands secure, the wing is sandwiched between the backplate and the cylinder and wont go anywhere.

Do you use a s.t.a with you set up. I was planning not to, to keep it more streamline.

I was recently at a clinic and got asked about my "scooter ring application". I do not scooter. I use mine for clipping off my jon line, speargun, and stringer. YMMV I was told at the clinic to ditch my jon line and deploy a finger spool and use it clipped to a chest d ring. That was the only advice I recieved that got discarded. I have no desire to "test" the tensile strength of cave line in a 2 knot current in the mid atlantic.

As for hose length It depends on what you plan on doing with that hose. If you are going to donate it to a oog diver the 7 foot hose is far superior to a 5 foot hose. Your body type and routing may land you on a different length that works for you, 6'6" or 7'2" ect.

Eric

I am not sure about 7' being vastly superior in open water, but what I do know from experience is that once over 6', you have to loop the hose around something (can light or whatever you want). At that point, you can adjust it to the perfect length for you, which makes it more of a universal fit. No messing around with the routing.

The 5'-6' hose either fit or they don't, its hard to adjust and contributed to a collection of unused, wrong length for me hoses. I found the 5' too short no matter what I did (at 220lbs, my girth does have an effect). The 6' happened to work for me fine and in a sense is the perfect length for me. The 7' also works just as well, I just tuck in in under my harness to deal with the extra length. Thus I would suggest only considering a 5-6' hose if you can test one out first to make sure it fits you. If you just want to buy one long hose, the 7' is ideal.

I am 5'8" and the 7' hose is a good fit for me and keeps a decent amount of space btw me and someone who might need the air.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom