Harness Stiffness Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
Did a quick search on this and didn't find what I was looking for, but maybe it's just been a really long day.

So the question is ...how important is stiffness for the harness. I got 2 different types online, (2 inch obviously) one from ReefScuba that is yellow (cause black seemed boring), but it has similar stiffness to weight belts and other webbing I have seen. The other webbing is much softer, rather like a seatbelt. All that I could come up with was that the softer webbing would be much more inclined to bend and whatnot across its width. Having said that, it really was quite comfortable rigged on the backplate. So just curious as to the downsides of it and the reasons for using stiffer webbing.
Thanks
~eric

While the softer webbing is pretty durable, the heavier stuff is better at preventing slippage of things like chest d-rings and such.

There is somewhat softer webbing that is the weight belt type. It is not super soft but better than the even stiffer stuff. No way to tell which is which from a parts catalog or on the web.

I am going to need to replace my harness in the not-too-distant future. I would be interested in knowing if anyone knows where to find the right stuff. I mostly just buy it through my LDS.

I replaced my harness back in the spring because my old one was showing some slight wear.

I ended up buying the new Halcyon harness webbing -- it is pricey vs. regular webbing (I think it was $16) and has all of these Blue H's all over it that some people don't like....

That being said, the webbing is what I would call "perfect" in terms of stiffness -- softer and more flexible than the Reef Scuba webbing, but tougher than the "seatbelt" type webbing -- very comfortable and not abrasive. It also comes with a grommet already installed in the center of the webbing, making installation easier.

If you don't like the H's.....pull out a black Sharpie and color them over....;-)

The concern with softer webbing lies along a few points...

a) it makes it tougher to keep D-Rings in the right position, since the keepers tend to move along the thinner webbing.

b) it makes it tougher to don and doff the rig, since the straps don't stay open when you pull on them.

c) durability is questionable.

Boogie711:
c) durability is questionable.
I had to replace the "webbing" on my boattrailer winch. The nylon strap was somewhat soft and rated for 6000 lbs (cost me $16 for 25ft)

PRL - It's not straight line pulling that's the issue. I can find you cave line that's rated to 360 lbs breaking strength, but you wouldn't use it for a harness either. It's the abrasions as it twists and turns throughout the backplate.

Makes sense, and I wouldnt bet my life on boat accesories for diving. As for the abrasions, it is attached to a metal hook and has to pull out a 5500lbs boat out of water.
BTW tried your spring design and love it (had to go to a softer spring)
Boogie711:
PRL - It's not straight line pulling that's the issue. I can find you cave line that's rated to 360 lbs breaking strength, but you wouldn't use it for a harness either. It's the abrasions as it twists and turns throughout the backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom