Harness and weightbelt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter,

If your weighting is correct, and your rig is balanced, I think that's DIR. Lots of different ways to carry the right about of weight.

cool_hardware52:
As an alternative;

I use the XSScuba pouch type weight belt. If I need to ditch I can open one pocket and remove 2-3 lbs at a time. I like that better than having to drop the entire belt.

Tobin

Is this belt just 8 XS pouches slid onto a 2" webbing belt or are the pouches sewn on? I have only seen the picture on the LP site.

FishDiver:
Is this belt just 8 XS pouches slid onto a 2" webbing belt or are the pouches sewn on? I have only seen the picture on the LP site.

XS Scuba sells belts with either 4 or 6 pouches, and individual pouches that fit on 2 inch webbing. I use the 4 pouch belt.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
XS Scuba sells belts with either 4 or 6 pouches, and individual pouches that fit on 2 inch webbing. I use the 4 pouch belt.

Tobin

Right.

What I meant was that the belt I have seen photos of looks like 4-6 of their individual pouches strung onto a standard webbing belt. I thought you could buy one of the 6 pouch belts and disassemble it into a weight belt and separate pockets for tank cam bands or what ever.

That is why I was curious if the pockets were sewn on to their belts or just slid on like the separate pockets.

FishDiver:
Right.

What I meant was that the belt I have seen photos of looks like 4-6 of their individual pouches strung onto a standard webbing belt. I thought you could buy one of the 6 pouch belts and disassemble it into a weight belt and separate pockets for tank cam bands or what ever.

That is why I was curious if the pockets were sewn on to their belts or just slid on like the separate pockets.

They also sell separate weight pouches, which you can put anywhere on 2" webbing (harness, cam bands etc. etc.). I think they have also a "quick release" version where the whole pouch can be easily pulled out, rather than opening and dropping individual weights.

Take a look here... http://www.xsscuba.com/weight_belts.html

On the weight belts, the XS scuba pockets are sewn together in pairs -- you can remove two, but not one.

Doc, I found that removing one is relatively simple. I only needed two twos, but bought the two threes so I could use one as a pocket to store my reel. I cut off the one I didn't need, used heat to seal the edges, and put rivets at the edge to stop the stitching from unraveling. I also read of someone taking it to a cobbler to superstitch and thus avoid the rivets.

Of course the easiest solution, if one does not need the belt, is to buy one 2 pocket and one 3 pocket; doable where I live. That's what I did after performing the other operation, just to have backups. Can't have enough backups! :)

Peter Guy:
Since this was brought up although NOT the DIR forum -- is using a DUI Wt and Trim within "the rules" as set by those who shall remain nameless?

In other words, having purchased the Wt and Trim last night and tried it today, I will NOT go back to a weight belt with a BP/W -- the harness arrangement was just too nice -- but is it "DIR?"

I wear a DUI weight & trim as well with my drysuit....love it! With regards to a 7mm wetsuit or less and a steel 95 fresh or Al80 in tropical, drop weights on my waist D-rings fit the bill with my ss backplate.

I've had very bad experience once with my weight belt, when the buckle failed, the belt dropped rite to the bottom. Problem was, my tank was emptying, and I was hovering at about 20m. I could feel myself starting to ascend and my dive comp was beeping cos the ascent was too fast. Had to duck dive and fin to as to stop myself from popping up. I know I should prob flare my body (as taught in OW), but at that point, I just wanted to slow down my ascent. Anyway, point is, I started wearing my belt underneath after that.

But with the width of the harness, would it be too narrow? Am thinking of getting the pockets mounted on the harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom