'Hard Wired' Dive Alert? Comments suggestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
OK I thought I had seen it elsewhere but maybe I was just imagining it. I want my Dive Alerts (on rental gear) 'hard wired' to the first stage.

Is there an adaptor that will let m do this?

aka, Where do I find LP hoses that are 3/8"-24 on both ends?

Is there a reason why this would be a bad idea?

OK I thought I had seen it elsewhere but maybe I was just imagining it. I want my Dive Alerts (on rental gear) 'hard wired' to the first stage.

Is there an adapter that will let m do this?

aka, Where do I find LP hoses that are 3/8"-24 on both ends?

Is there a reason why this would be a bad idea?

Why do you want it hardwired to rental gear?

Are you the owner of the rental gear?
If so, I assume you want to provide Dive Alerts to your rental customers without having the Dive Alerts disappear never to be seen again? :lotsalove:

I am just curious since I can see no other reason why you would want to hard-wire the Dive Alerts.

Why do you want it hardwired to rental gear?

Are you the owner of the rental gear?
If so, I assume you want to provide Dive Alerts to your rental customers without having the Dive Alerts disappear never to be seen again? :lotsalove:

I am just curious since I can see no other reason why you would want to hard-wire the Dive Alerts.

Yes I am the owner. The reason I want to hard wire it is that I am going to use alternate inflator regs (of all types), and the hoses get too messy with the Dive Alert down there, if you have an Air2 connections above and below the Dive Alert. The SeaQuest type of connector is neater, but it's still a bit of a mess.

(Although you make a good point that hard wiring will keep them at home better. One advantage is that I will be transporting to and from the dive sites/boat so it would be hard for them to go missing).

I am still up in the Air whether or not I am going to put Dive Alerts on each set. I *thought* that all the rental gear in Palau had Dive Alerts where I dove. I do know when I take customers to Palau they will have Dive Alerts, but I may just add a hose for just the Dive Alert for those times.

Something I just found. Miflex now has 13" doubled ended hose (apparently for rebreathers). It's on the XS Scuba site, but not quite yet in stores.

Also found out from DiveAlert that I was not imagining things, they did use to sell a hard wired version.

Also found out from DiveAlert that I was not imagining things, they did use to sell a hard wired version.

I am curious, what do you mean when you say " hardwired"? I am not clear on the design issue to which you refer.

Thanks.

Gav

I am curious, what do you mean when you say " hardwired"? I am not clear on the design issue to which you refer.

Thanks.

Gav

The regular DIveAlert/DiveAlert Plus models are designed to the be inserted between your low pressure inflator hose and the nipple on your BC inflator/safe second. They are attached in the same manner that your inflator hose connects to the nipple without a DiveAlert being present.

The hard wired Dive Alert would attach using tools such as a wrench so that it would not be easily removed from rental gear.

Ronbeau had it right. I wanted the kind of Dive-Alert that an LP hose screwed into. Dive Alert used to sell these, but discontinued the design. A guy on eBay aparently stil has them:

Dive Alert Surface Signal Device - Brand NEW - eBay (item 120315704725 end time Jan-06-09 19:39:41 PST)

If you look at the picture, instead of a quick release fitting it has a male 9/16-24 fitting like on a second stage.

If I could have gotten those, I might have continued thinking about getting hard-wired Dive Alerts. But the only way to do it now is to buy adaptors and fittings. (And the Dive Alert is not really sturdy enough to stand up to the abuse, because the threading in the Dive Alert body is plastic, instead of a brass insert).

Luckily for me, my market, and clientele, and business design has no problems with theft by customers. Getting whole sets of gear stolen by locals is a problem, but getting little bits stolen by customers is not.

Just go with the Aquatec Air 3 it has a subduck sounder built into the breathable inflator.
I works both on the surface and submerged.
By using only 1 of these type of safe second stages you won't have to deal with 3 different hoses and the sounder won't grow legs.
It still won't help if using a standard Octo. In this case I'd go without the sounder and if needed for a rental swap the inflator hose along with the power inflator when renting a conventional style regulator set with octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom