Hard weight question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmer fudd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I recently switched from a Zeagle Ranger to a BPW and from integrated weights to a weight belt with hard weights. I've never used hard weights before. In the past when I used to dive with a weight belt I used a fixed weight soft belt.

One thing I noticed was that while I started the dive with the weights at either side, when I finished they had migrated to my belly. What are the common methods of preventing this? I'm thinking of drilling a couple of holes through the lead, poking a couple of holes through the belt with a hot nail and then running a ziptie through the holes effectively locking them in place. Maybe there's a better method?

One other thing I've noticed, IST buckles seem to suck. No failure issues with it yet, but this thing looks way too insubstantial for me to trust it not to fail at depth. I'm going to need to upgrade this thing soon if for no other reason than my peace of mind.

You can try to put a half twist in the belt when you thread it through the weights. Thread through one slot, twist, then thread through the other. You can also get weight keepers to keep everything in place.

I think your idea would work to keep them in place, just be careful drilling the lead, its pretty nasty stuff.

Half turns or weight stoppers (serrated tri-glides) as described above will work.

Another way is to hit the sides of the weight with a mallet once threaded (along the belt). Lead is soft, and the weight will deform to pinch the webbing.

As already mentioned, use serrated tri-glides to prevent the lead weights from shifting around.

How much weight do you have on your weight belt? 6-10 lbs. is usually very manageable. IMO, anymore weight than that is better positioned elsewhere. Others may disagree. I do a great deal of shore diving, and I don't have the hips to prevent the belt from slipping down during surf entries.

Another alternative for carrying a lot of weight on the hips is the DUI Weight & Trim harness.

How have you liked the change? I have a Ranger right now but am considering my next option.

Thanks

How much weight do you have on your weight belt?

I'm currently wearing 24 lbs on my waist with a 6 lb plate on my back. That seemed to sink me pretty well. I know it sounds like a lot of weight, but a drysuit and three layers of fleece takes a lot of weight to sink and I like the warmth. I did some diving in the shallows at the end of my dive, ending up with about 1100 psi. I was able to be slightly negative right up to the surface, but my wing was completely empty and I was just beginning to feel a little suit squeeze. So I'm feeling I was pretty well weighted. My trim seemed pretty good too, but I'll probably slide my tank a little farther forward in the future.

How have you liked the change? I have a Ranger right now but am considering my next option.

Thanks

I'll let you know after a few more dives. Right off the bat, I found that the BPW felt a bit more restrictive around the shoulders. Maybe I just need to adjust it. I'm not sure just yet. I noticed it mostly while doing my surface checks, so it's possible that it's only an issue out of the water. It also seemed to me that I moved through the water more easily with the BPW and the BPW seems more stable, (it seems to slop around less).

I'm actually using the wing from the Ranger on my BP and it fits like it was made for it. That fact will save you an extra $250 or so when you decide to make the switch.

Back
Top Bottom