Hard lessons learned from my first dive as Divemaster guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i suppose being a guide can be tough or easy depending on the divers being led, me personally i always dive with my fiancee and she loves to take pictures.
By default our guide is usually infront of us but not within touching distance, if we must stop to take a good shot i stay close to her while watching the guide, if he takes to long to check on us and stop, i signal her and we move on... its better to miss a shot than to be separated from the guide and end up in an unnecessary situation.

i tend to treat my guide like an extended buddy

It was my first day as a Divemaster guide and the lessons I learned from it will stay with me for life. After getting my DM certification, I raised my hand to guide pleasure divers on the next weekend trip organised by my Dive Resort. I ended up on a boat with 5 divers. I was responsible to guide two of them. Both were Advanced Open Water certified but with less than 25 logged dives and new equipment that they wanted to try. It was the first time I guide divers other than my close friends/buddies. The first dive was perfectly ok. All rules were followed strictly, clear communication, no incidents and a safe return on time to the boat. After a 1-hour surface interval, we geared up to explore the second and last dive site of the day. It was a reef site around a rock in the Indian Ocean. The boat couldn't get too close to the rock, so there was a bit of swimming that we needed to do. I jumped in the water first, took a compass heading and waited for my two divers to join. I told them at the surface that we must stay close together as we swim underwater towards the rock using my compass. We signalled OK and descended. One of them seemed quite inexperienced and was struggling a bit with his new BCD. When I saw him lagging behind the other I signalled to them to stay close and buddy-up . When they got together, we exchanged OK signals and I started to swim. I was ahead with both of them behind me. After 1 or 2 minutes, I looked behind to check on them but couldn't see them! I made a full turn to look for bubbles in the water but saw nothing. Viz was 8-10 metres. I was at 8m depth. After looking around underwater for 1 minute, I decided to ascend to look for them at the surface but there was no sign of them. Water was a bit choppy so I couldn't see their bubbles on the surface. I waived to the captain on the boat but he was far and didn't seem to understand my signal. I started to worry. I descended again to look around, and that's when I saw a black tip reef shark wandering close to me! I got more worried as I wondered how the two divers would have reacted to the shark encounter without me. I watched the shark disappear, then ascended once again. Still no sign. There was a snorkler close by so I asked her if she had seen two divers alone. To my relief, she pointed me to where she saw them last. They were not too far, but were drifting with the current away from the rock. Finally after 8-10mns they decided to surface! We regrouped again, I checked that they were ok and then we descended again to explore the site. This time I stayed really close and was literally looking back at them every 10 seconds! Lesson learned: I got too pre-occupied with my compass and didn't check on them soon enough. I should have known from the first dive that they were slow and inexperienced. I should NEVER let divers in a group that I'm leading out of my sight again. I must also be very firm and clear about the buddy system and surfacing after 1mn if we lose each other. Thoughts and advice are much welcome...

Wait until you get a student bolt for the surface while holding his breath... That will really wake you up!

Like others have said, you're a better DM this week than you were last week. Learning happens on every dive so don't stop diving!

And most of all, congratulations on becoming a DM, it feels good doesn't it?

Safe diving,

W.

Very well put Jim!

I have had SO MANY dive guides get ahead of me and lost sight of me -- especially once I started being a good buddy and staying close to my wife. At this point I pretty much expect it. Many dive guides have told us "don't worry about her -- stay close to me" -- advice which I ignore.

- Bill

I'm NAUI AOW and I am frequently the dive leader at my local spot (Dutch Springs). Even though many of the underwater attractions have lines to them, I still turn around at least every 10 seconds to check on the team. In our pre-dive planning and review, we agree upon pace, air check intervals (usually at designated underwater sites), signals, and to stay with a buddy within the team. The real challenge for that was when I was the first time I was team leader on a navigation night dive. By planning and confirming every detail with the team in a pre-dive briefing, all went well. I thank my Instructor and Divemaster Kenny Bratch for teaching me the importancve of that. But, we also plan contingincies, just in case plan A doesn't quite work out.
Plan your dive, Dive your plan, and have backup plans that the entire team understands and agrees upon beforehand.

May I also suggest that developing a familiarity with the dive site helps greatly. The familiarity with the dive site - current conditions to expect, terrain, visibility, key features, attractions and potential risks contribute to an effective dive briefing, the elements that are emphasized and helping the divers you lead better appreciate the dive they will be conducting.

I have also found an intimate familiarity with the dive site does help locate divers who get left behind. Whenever possible, I also take care to make eye contact with my divers when I signal turns or u-turns. Leisure divers sometimes switch off to an extent that they keep going straight ahead when the group has changed course. I never take course changes for granted, deliberate effort is made to communicate this to the divers I lead, including the thumbs up :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom