Harbor recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a harbor 3-4 hours out of San Antonio to put a boat approx 50'. If any of you have recommendations and/or references it would be appreciated.

Kevin

Edit: That would be "harbor" in the salt water sense. Lakes need not apply :D

1RUSTYRIG:
Looking for a harbor 3-4 hours out of San Antonio to put a boat approx 50'. If any of you have recommendations and/or references it would be appreciated.

Kevin

Either Bridge Harbor or Kirby Marine in freeport can handle 50'
Bridge Harbor is closer to the gulf, Kirby is cheaper

1RUSTYRIG:

Kevin

Kevin,

Power or sail? Do you want to get close to the gulf...do you want to cruise or dive/fish? Give us a few more clues and we can point you in the right direction.

If your interrest is diving/fishing then the Freeport/Surfside area is going to be the quickest way to get you close to good water from San Antonio....I-10 to Beltway 8 to 288 south. Easy route drive time around four hours or less depending on where in San Antonio you'll be coming from.

Regards,

I guess some details would have been prudent :D

I am looking to A: buy something in the 50' range and B: dock it where I would be close to scuba diving more than fishing. The boat will be power, not sail.

Kevin,

I have operated big boats on the uper Texas coast for years. In the long haul you'll save a lot of $$$ berthing a boat at Freeport/Sufside or someplace in that general area. Bridge Harbor at Freeport/Surfside would be the preferred location, although it may be a little pricey. Suggest you check around. Freeport is much closer to the 10 fathom line and that is something you should look at, particularly with diving in mind. The Galveston yacht basin is another option.....however....the boat ride is MUCH farther to the 10 fathom line and you'll encounter less traffic with the drive to Freeport (from San Antonio). So, considering operational costs and fuel expense, you'll fare much better operating out of Freeport.

P.S......After you get set up and should you ever be short of another diver and one that can operate whatever you decide to get......the pleasure of meeting you would be all mine.

Regards,

Thanks for the reccomendations, Cudabait! I have a lot of investigative work to do this summer before I can 'climatize' to Texas diving.

I am still debating on type of boat to get. Its too bad that I missed the Miami boat show a few months back...A friend of mine was telling me about the aluminum crew boats that the oil companies use to service/supply the oil rigs with. They have great speed and a real open layout on the aft deck. Apparently there are quite a few in the Houston area :D

My company has a large dive club in Houston, so I am sure that I will get up your way once we get settled in.

Kevin

Rusty,

You.ve got the right idea. Check out all your options before you invest in that big hole in the water. We'll look for you on the board.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom