Happy to always dive advanced within recreational limits, forever ? [Poll]

Advanced diver, do you have any plans to move eventually to "technical" diving ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I already do "technical" dives.

Votes: 90 26.8%
  • Yes, as soon as possible.

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • 50-50 chance.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Probably not, but time will tell.

Votes: 82 24.4%
  • No intent whatsoever.

Votes: 78 23.2%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecks are unique, not like reefs. If diving famous historical wrecks is your big thing, and there is a specific wreck on your bucket list, it's at the depth it's at. Saying you will be satisfied with shallower wrecks doesn't cut it when the wreck you have in your sights has a unique history, and that's what interests you.

Exactly. It was when I learned that the Monitor is diveable that I decided I wanted to pursue technical diving. Bragging rights associated with the depth are not even a thing, to me.

I'm still working towards being able to go deep enough to visit the Monitor, but I'll get there someday.

Wrecks are unique, not like reefs. If diving famous historical wrecks is your big thing, and there is a specific wreck on your bucket list, it's at the depth it's at. Saying you will be satisfied with shallower wrecks doesn't cut it when the wreck you have in your sights has a unique history, and that's what interests you.

Fair enough, though my point remains that there will always be some wreck just beyond your reach. But hey, who am I to question anyone else’s bucket list ...

Fair enough, though my point remains that there will always be some wreck just beyond your reach. But hey, who am I to question anyone else’s bucket list ...

Where I lived until recently, out of the 80 or so reachable wrecks, all but 4 or 5 of them were below 30m, most in the 30-80m range and a few deeper than that. Basically if you wanted to wreck-dive more than those couple of shallow ones, you pretty quickly had to start looking at deco and or mixed gas diving.

What if the majority of the time you dive within recreational limits but every once in a while, three of my 200+ dives so far, go beyond limits and course training, i.e. I went to 43m without taking a deep spec and separately, five minutes of deco on a third dive? All of these dives were with instructors and mandatory deco stops were planned. They're certainly "trust me" dives, as I was following the instructors' instructions and didn't plan the dives myself.

What if the majority of the time you dive within recreational limits but every once in a while, three of my 200+ dives so far, go beyond limits and course training, i.e. I went to 43m without taking a deep spec and separately, five minutes of deco on a third dive? All of these dives were with instructors and mandatory deco stops were planned. They're certainly "trust me" dives, as I was following the instructors' instructions and didn't plan the dives myself.

Without having deep cert or do you have aow or dives at 100ft or more?

Gregg Bemis just signed over the ownership of the Lusitania to the Old Head of Kinsale museum. If a person what’s to visit the wreck they must travel through 300 feet of water first. It’s not about going deep just for the sake of it.

If you define tech diving by "can you make a direct ascent at any time?" then it's definitely worth it to me, and like others I've answered "as soon as possible" because I am absolutely going to become a tech diver but I don't necessarily agree with the schedule that implies.

If you define tech diving by "can you CESA at any time?" then I'm already doing the occasional tech dive in that I've never tested my ability to CESA from more than a few tens of feet and so if I'm much deeper than about 50ft then I start betting my safety on my ability to perform a valve shutdown rather than my ability to CESA. In either case I always for safely ending the dive after any two simultaneous equipment failures or getting separated from my team and experiencing a single equipment failure afterwards.

I think that is a mistake. What level is just DP?

Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures being bundled is the usual way. At a certain level, doing a course over a few days, it makes sense as it covers a lot of common ground.

The disadvantage is that Advanced Nitrox brings with it a lot of additional complication and risk. At the same time there is quite a lot of discipline required for Decompression Procedures diving and a lot to learn about hanging about on a bit of string.

In the system I dive in every body learns to do decompression diving as a matter of course. None of those people doing backgas deco would call themselves technical divers. Only a few learn to use accelerated deco. It is quite effective though. In the 30m to 40m range with a twinset of appropriate nitrox you will only be doing 15 to 30 minutes of stops. Where cutting that in half is worth while vs the extra hassle and risk of carrying a deco cylinder is arguable, but it is not strictly required.

its just what he calls it, and bundles it all together. obviously if for whatever reason you have 1 or 2 of them already then its obviously going to be different but the majority of people getting into tech diving through TDI will do it as a package yes i understand AN and DP are 2 separate courses but are almost always bundled together as they are sort of useless without the other one.
extended range adds a 2nd deco gas.
we finished up and passed AN DP yesterday and are putting together a schedule to come back for extended range.
the cert depth of extended range i don't care for i have no desire to go that deep on air when trimix is in the budget. but the added gas planning/ skills and handling 2nd deco gas are worth it to me. hopefully i can crank out enough dives and build up my skill level enough for advanced wreck and or trimix to start by this time next year.

AN and DP are 2 separate courses but are almost always bundled together as they are sort of useless without the other one.

Being able to do deco without all the extra acceleration and multiple gases is actually very useful. For one thing it gets you away from being obsessive about NDL.

I think the bundling is customer driven.

Also, why would you do ER rather that a 60m Trimix course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom