Happy Songkran!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Lao now where it's a bit different. Here in Tha Kaek, right on the Mekong across from Nakhon Phanom, it's a bit wild with hoses, power squirt guns, powder and colored water. But out in the boonies it's much gentler. We drove up new highway 1D today which runs through some incredibly isolated villages. As we drove through small hamlets crowds of kids would wave us to a stop, pin paper flowers to our shirts and accept a small donation for the wat. We stopped in at one village wat where people had bowls of flower water with which to cleanse Buddha images.

Maybe I'll remember to post some photos after I get home.

In any event: Sabai dii phi mai.

So, we drove about 600 kilometers yesterday from Tha Kaek in Laos to our home in Korat. The last kilometer took about 30 minutes. Here's why:

[video=youtube;ROSomTW8QQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROSomTW8QQk[/video]

As promised, a few photos from Songkran in rural Laos:

IMG_5387.jpg
Wat Phou Vieng Thong Xay Ya Ram. The bowls contain flower water which will be poured over Buddha images.

IMG_5388.jpg
Songkran Shakedown. These ladies stopped our car, pinned paper flowers to our shirts and then accepted small donations for the wat.

IMG_5408.jpg
The bowl is full of paper flowers.

IMG_5380.jpg
These guys were about to blast me, but I cupped my hands at my waist in the traditional way. They used their water canons to gently pour water into my outstretched palms.

IMG_5428.jpg
Honoring the Buddha image by cleansing with water. This in Tha Kaek.

IMG_5449.jpg
On The Border. Thai Immigration authorities had set up a small shrine so that us travelers celebrate Songkran in the traditional way.

Back
Top Bottom