Happy Memorial Day Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just thought I would wish everyone a happy Memorial Day tomorrow! Be safe and have fun!:)

Kayla:)

Thanks Kayla, I'll try. I am not so sure this is to be a happy day though. A sad and yet very proud day at the same time, remembering those who served our great country and gave it all.

I guess it is a happy day after all! A big thank you to the families of those who gave their lives for us!

Later, Hawk.

I was thinking the same thing. But, we have all spent so much time lately being sad about what happened, and don't get me wrong, thats not a bad thing at all. I think that we will be just a little bit sad for the rest of our lives, but I think that in honor of everyone that died, we need to have a double the amount of fun that we would normally have, for someone who was not able to make it to Memorial Day this year. Just my opinion I guess, and I don't mean to start a conflict at all.... I just think we all need to have a little fun once and awhile!:)

Kayla:)

Flag is up.
Today I visit a few old friends; celebrate their lives, their defense of my freedoms, our good times together.
And say "thank you." Thank you for paying the price for me and for my family.
And to pray the short prayer from the Crommelin brothers' memorial - "Lord, take unto Thyself the souls of the valiant."
Rick Murchison
Commander, U.S. Navy (Retired)

Went out with OW class to beach to assist. They did quite well. Then took my husband for fish lunch on the coast. He's a veteran himself, so I guess it is kinda his day.

Um - can someone tell me what Memorial Day is?

Being a Brit this does not mean much to me and I've never heard of it before. It seems to be everywhere at the moment and from CNN I gather it has something to do with Marines in Afganistan eating burgers and playing volleyball - I'm sure there must be more to it than that.

Thanks
Jonathan

Is there any significance behind the date? Or is is just picked as a convenient holiday date?

The significant dates remembered in Europe (but we don't get a holiday) are Armistice Day - 11th Nov, VE Day 8th May and VJ Day 15th August. When I say remember it is really only 11th Nov that anything happens except on significant anniversaries.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonathan
Is there any significance behind the date? Or is is just picked as a convenient holiday date?

The significant dates remembered in Europe (but we don't get a holiday) are Armistice Day - 11th Nov, VE Day 8th May and VJ Day 15th August. When I say remember it is really only 11th Nov that anything happens except on significant anniversaries.

Jonathan
From the net...
Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it was a time set aside to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves. It was first widely observed on May 30,1868, to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former sailors and soldiers. On May 5, 1868, Logan declared in General Order No. 11 that:
The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.
During the first celebration of Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers buried in the cemetery.
This 1868 celebration was inspired by local observances of the day in several towns throughout America that had taken place in the three years since the Civil War. In fact, several Northern and Southern cities claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day, including Columbus, Mississippi; Macon, Georgia; Richmond, Virginia; Boalsburg, Pennsylvania; and Carbondale, Illinois.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom