Hand Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Like any language, locally there are variations. But, one sign I have yet to see and hopefully somebody has a sign for it.. "This area has too many divers, let's get away from here!"
Specifically, I dive an area that has a heavy diver presence, furiously kicking snorkelers, and dweebs with gopros on a stick that like shoving that thing into the critter you're trying to photograph. I dive to get away from people. Plenty of space to retreat, but how do I tell my buddy that?
So, for the hand sign, there must be a better sign that a finger (that one!) pointed in the direction of distractions and a swimming sign going in a different direction...

Middle finger up and turn like a standard "turn the dive" signal, then point to where you want to go.
ie "Fu***rs all around, lets go over there!" Which sounds like what you do anyway.

Or you could be less colorful and just use the "follow me" option and swim away.

Hand signals should be discussed/briefed between buddies prior to splashing...especially ones that are not the most common as those taught in certification classes.

Whether you adopt as sign from someone else, incorporate one from a sign language system like ASL, or make something up on your own...it is important to share and agree on the sign and its meaning before you enter the water. Do not assume that signals you are familiar with are intuitive to anyone else you dive with unless you have previously reviewed hand signals together.

-Z

Depending on vis I do a wide sweeping middle finger at the offending area followed by fining fingers and pointing to where we should go.

It happens when classes drop where we're at and yet another reason I stay deep when they're around.

See attached. You want "Go that way" (page 10) plus maybe "Who will lead, who will follow" (page 13).

1000011057.png

Attachments

• 12 - Common Hand Signals.pdf
    598.2 KB · Views: 19
Or just come down here to St Croix, my dive buddies think 4 other people on a 1,526 feet long pier is too many :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom