Hanauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Coral polished smooth
by hundreds of feet, bodies
Hanauma greets.

I actually snorkeled at Hanauma with my kids last week. The inner reef is very busy, although arguably not quite polished :) Once you get past the inner reef there were none/only a handful of people and the big coral heads looked in pretty good shape at up to 20-30 ft depth. I quite liked the place.

I wondered about that part. The helpful lifeguard mentioned Toilet Bowl and Witches Brew could be very turbulent. I stayed closer to the middle of the bay to avoid both. Even there viz wasn't very good by Hawaii standards, probably about 20-30 ft. Do people dive in Witches Brew? She mentioned rough-water swimmers liked it.

There was a helpful cable one could follow to California. I also did a couple of boat dives, and one of the guides there said their boat went to a spot just outside Hanauma bay. She also mentioned a shore dive starting from within the bay but mentioned 100 minute run times, which is too long for me on rental al80s. I hadn't seen the bay at that point and wasn't sure where exactly she went.

There were lots of different fish as advertized: we saw dozens of species including eels, lizard fish, flying gurnard, trigger fish in less than 5 ft water; nice corals a bit deeper, I saw a green turtle that swam just a few ft below me for a few minutes. First time to Hawaii, so far I'm quite excited :)

for first timers the best bet is follow the cable, if you swim continually for about 18 min, you'll come to an open area, there's usually big game fish hanging there. the mouth of the bay is a real gem, but your not going to get there on an 80. a boat is a good back up, or scooter.
there are a few down sides to the bay, the hill, having to watch the vid, and the...other people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom