Hammerhead MV3 Action Mask with ARC coating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makologic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, I just picked up a Hammerhead MV3 Action mask with the Purple ARC coating. I got it so I can mount my gopro while spearfishing. I took it for a test run, and even though I scrubbed with toothpaste, its fogging up pretty bad. Anyone else have this mask and have the same issue? More scrubbing? I considered flaming it but I think that could (probably) mess up the ARC coating. I can't really tell if the coating is on the outside of the lens or sandwiched in the glass.

Anyone with any tips to get it usable? I'm supposed to go lionfish hunting on Saturday and unless I can get it to quit fogging I probably won't end up using it, which would be a bummer. I have a scubapro mask that has no fogging issues at all.

If your toothpaste has any abrasives in it, then you probably already messed up the ARC coating. If it doesn't, then it didn't really do anything anyway.

I would use undiluted baby shampoo on the lens and the mask and just scrub it good. Possibly multiple times. Stuff on the skirt can leech onto the lens and cause fogging, thus why I say to get the skirt clean, too.

luckily, I'm a bonehead and was using some toothpaste that was more gel than normal, and didn't really scrub the outside. A call to hammerhead spearguns (very nice people, btw) and they confirmed that the ARC coating is only on the outside lens. So I scrubbed the inside with normal toothpaste and its pretty good now. Maybe not as fog-free as my scubapro mask, but not bad after a quick test in the pool. :D thanks!

Btw...i'm not sure that I really like the ARC coating....it seems to pick up any oils and grease on your hands and even affect clarity in the water. I guess I'll find out when I dive this weekend...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom