Hamanasi Resort to Turneffe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belize does have one of the highest per capita road fatality rates. But that's due to a lack of drivers education, in my opinion. My quite beautiful step daughters got their licenses with no driving test....passed on charm.
One thing to be aware of here that causes accidents....when turning left, you are supoosed to move to the right side of the road and let cars behind you pass, if there is no oncoming traffic. (Some will pass you and others will wait for you to turn) Be very careful turning left off the open highway.
It's the stupidest rule I've ever seen as no other country I've lived or driven in applies the same rule. My Canadian late friend was killed because of that. He turned while a semi was barreling up behind him and T boned him when he turned.
And most do drive fast here. The "highways" are like any two lane country road in the US but many drive 70 or more mph.

@Hank49

Sounds like the DR.

Fortunately/unfortunately Hopkins Bay is 130 km from Belize City, so we will fly to there and rent a car for a couple days at most.

@Hank49

Sounds like the DR.

Fortunately/unfortunately Hopkins Bay is 130 km from Belize City, so we will fly to there and rent a car for a couple days at most.
From Belize City you can fly to Dangriga, which is about half hour drive north of Hopkins. Most resorts pick you up in Dangriga, but my daughter just told me you can rent a car now in Hopkins. She does accounts payable for 10 resorts here.

From Belize City you can fly to Dangriga, which is about half hour drive north of Hopkins. Most resorts pick you up in Dangriga, but my daughter just told me you can rent a car now in Hopkins. She does accounts payable for 10 resorts here.
I was looking at that last night. When I saw the distance, I knew there was no way to drive. It isn't worth it, as we have a toddler. Plus, our flight back home is at 8:45 am, so we'll take the 6:15 am flight to give us two hours to check in.

It is going to be painful, but that's the way it goes when traveling with small children. We want our daughter to be used to it, and in all the flights she's been on (LA, Maui, Tucson, Greece twice, and Russia), it has been a mix. Some good, some not so good.

I just did this very thing back in May. We stayed at Belize Dive Haven and then moved on to Hamanasi. Stayed at each place 3-4 days roughly (including travel days). The only way I found to go was to take the water taxi that the resort offered from Turneffe to Belize City. Then you have options. You can fly from Belize City to Dangriga and Hamanasi will pick you up there and drive you to the resort (probably quickest) in terms of time spent in transportation but only marginally so. The other option is to have Hamanasi pick you up wherever your Turneffe resort will drop you off and take you to Hamanasi..

RECOMMENDATION: Do the drive and skip the flight. Make a day of it and stop at Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM as its known) Cave Tour (arrange tour through Hamanasi). The drive is beautiful and the ATM cave tour is absolutely AMAZING. You should ask for Elias as a tour guide as he was simply superb. See And Then The Rain Came – Wild Williams World Wanderings for an excerpt from my blog of my day at the ATM.

After writing this I realized you want to do the opposite direction so just reverse everything :cool:

PS If you would like to see more pictures and descriptions of the whole trip which has descriptions and details on Belize Dive Haven and Hamanasi as well as a quick stop at Ambergris Caye, see my complete blog for this trip at "Belize it or Not"
Hi, I was wondering what you thought of the 2 resorts, in terms of dives, quality of the rooms and food, etc? Trying to decide if one of these might work for us. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom