Halon Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I was at the scuba expo today and saw these lights https://www.divehalon.com/Dive_Light.php

For the size and power it seemed great. I usually never use a light (unless on a night dive and then this would just be a backup) but I always carry one.

Anyone use this or know of anything similar?

thanks

J

If you're looking for a backup light, I'd go with a Dorcy II/Penetrator 220. You can get a new one for around half the cost of the halon light in the link and it uses AAA batteries rather than CR123A batteries.

Or one of the Intovas. I know CR123s are a little spendy but for a "true" back up, which is only used when primary fails, they are a better option due to long shelf life.

The CR123 are only expensive if you purchase them retail. They are considered a low volume specialty battery and most retailers will gouge you on them ($5+ ea). If you take the time to order a box of 12 or more on the internet, expect to pay about $1 ea, which is not much more than AA (considering you need 2 CR123 vs 4 AA/AAA for a backup light.

Thanks. I checked out the other 2 lights mentioned, this is smaller, however not sure if an inch here or there is going to make a difference.

thanks again

J

I have no experience with the specific light you mentioned. It appears to very compact which might appeal to some. For that price though, you can also purchase an Intova or similar light made with a heavy duty metal case. Lights tend to get abused, especially backup lights.

To clarify, the HALON Dive Light runs on (2) CR123 batteries compared to (6) AAA batteries for the Dorcy "Dive II" light. In addition, HALON Dive Lights are more compact (4" long x 1" dia.) and weigh less (4 ozs. with batteries) than the others listed. Our lights are also routinely drop tested per ASTM standards. And not that you ever would...but we even ran a few over with a 3,000-lb vehicle on asphalt before submersing them in a pressure chamber test to 350-ft (50-ft deeper than our stated operational limit). Dorcy and Intova make great lights, but so do we!

As to the price difference, it's all related to LED quality and how they're "driven". For example, HALON Dive Lights maintain a constant output of 175 lumens instead of gradually reducing output over time as the battery voltages drop. After the first 3 hours, an additional 90 minutes of run time is available at 20% output before changing batteries is required. As an additional feature, our lights will also accept re-chargeable 123's.

Hope this helps in making your decision. Thanks.

I'm going to order one before my trip in June. I'll post my review after using it.

thanks

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom