Halogen or LED light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After stowing my light under a rock a few weeks ago at CSSP, forgetting to get it, returning a week later and it was gone (duh), I'm in the market for a new light.

Have browsed some at the LDS and on-line, and am wondering what the best light is to get?

I already have a smallish one that's I can conveniently store down the front of my wetsuit. The one I lost was a bigger, pistol-grip style light.

HID

Well for me that is,Halogen has just to little burntime,LED has to little on the colorspectrum.
HID has cood color and burntime.
Love my UK lightcanon.

I second that, I have owned several lights and the UK Light Cannon 100 is by far the best I have seen. If that is more light then you want, then I also like the UK SL4 Xeon as a backup/daytime light.

A lot of this has to do as you the diver.

LED Options-
If you can get the power you want then the LED option in vastly superior and this is the current direction of the market.
The bulbs last for virtually forever (some 50k hours) and they is no wire to break like the HID (which we should honestly call an arch light.)
With no wire, less chance of breakage and better burn time.
Here’s the deal with LED’s- they had to overpower them to get the light we want out of them. As a result they were really heating them up.
Since we submerge them – it’s not a big deal. This was true for the 1watt LED light.

The new kicker- 3 Watt lights and above are awesome and provide the average diver a incredible option.
Recently, the 3watt light that was brought out (has the apperence) it is just slightly less power than the 10 watt HID light.

To put it into perspective- in the caving community most divers carry one primary and two backups.
Most divers are now selling their backups and buying two 3 watt LED lights. The thread on another board was a just amazing on the results and people have been very happy.

My plans are to buy a 3watt Oxycheq Raider (backup) light- backup is an oxymoron.
Cost $79.00 – compared to $300.00 plus for an HID light.

The future-
I honestly, believe we are about to see a revolution in battery and lighting and divers will be one of the biggest winners.
Batteries and being built for all types of applications and the inclusion of the new battery/capacitor is going to add incredible value.
Plus manufactures are hard working at a LED application of bigger lights to rival HID lights. The 3watt light is the first in this generation.

What does it mean to you. Spend the $79.00 on a Raider and enjoy the heck out of it. When you need a heavy light the full blow canister LED lights will be around.
Video on the comparison- YouTube - OxyCheq 3W LED Backup Light
That should help give you an idea of what you can expect.

If I can help give me a yell; hope this was useful.
Andrew

Last edited:
Alan,
Why the pistola grips?
I always stay away from them; there bulky, clunky, don't hang well.
Just curious why you like them?

Hope that you and your family are well sir.
Best Regards, Andrew

Thanks, I'll start looking at those.

I have LED backup that stows in a pocket and a pistol grip UK 8 thing that's Halogen

Alan,
Why the pistola grips?
I always stay away from them; there bulky, clunky, don't hang well.
Just curious why you like them?

Hope that you and your family are well sir.
Best Regards, Andrew

I only use a pistol grip primary light during 'typical' recreation diving were I am not using a DR canister light. My primary backup is an LED Proton Torpedo and a secondary backup is a UK SL4 eLED.

I have not found any of your observations to be particulary accurate in my usage of pistol grip lights......they are ease to direct the light and stay on target//they clip off the a d-ring as easily as a none pistol grip light units that are hand held and as far as 'hanging', that is a bad thing anyway you cut it for most of us. I have used about every style of light out there in terms of physical design and the pistol grip for me is a winner.

Thanks for asking about the family---they are fine, and I hope yours are well also......Austin I bet is back in school...probably time for a bit of celbr. for you and Heather!! :wink:

I love my light Cannon, some say the beam is to broad but it has worked great for me. I do wish I had the money for a Salvo or DR Can light though.

Back
Top Bottom