Halogen bulb/reflector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spiff

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a halogen bulb for my dive light.

I am looking for a mr16 bulb with a narrow spot (6-12 degrees), aluminum reflector and with an 50W effect or higher.

I can't seem to find anything out there that will fit?

Is it maybe possible to buy the reflector and the bulb separate, and that way get a fit?

/Søren

Good link, I've been looking for a 35 watt halogen, narrow beam etc.

Check out Bulb Direct on the inet. They have a catalog with just about everything in it, and their phone line people are very good at finding specs on the bulbs or other info the catalog may not have.

BTW when you are shopping for halogens remember the output can very between two lamps of the same wattage depending on how aggressively driven the filiment is. If you can't find a lumen rating for a bulb (and MR16 bulbs don't have lumen ratings) bulb life is a good approximation - a 2000 hour bulb will give you only about 2/3's the light output of a 50 hour bulb, so the shortest-lived bulbs will usually give you the most lumens for the wattage. Back in the days of the big 14 amp hour, 50 watt ligts, serious light users would run 50 hour BRL projection bulbs, and replace them every ten or so hours.

YOu might want to consider the 35W IR bulbs. They have an IR reflective coating on the inside that reflects a lot of the wasted heat back at the filament- once they heat up, it actually takes less energy to run the bulb at the stated power and they have a higher output, somwhere around 55W. Im running those in my light and you really notice the extra battery life because of the reduced power consumption, and they are a touch brighter than the 50W. I believe i have a 10degree beam in mine, and running it at 14.4v gives a LOT of light. however, they do run yellow (as do most halogens) so the penetration of the light isnt the best. Around here, Monterey, that matters, for you, maybe not.

here it is

35MRC16/IRC/ALU/SP8 (12V, 5000 Hrs) - 202630

a bit of a premium in cost over the regular, but the tight angle and the improvement in battery life really made it worthwile for me. FWIW, im still on the first one from a pack of 3 i bought, and ive done ~20 dives on it.

I will look into those, np251!

Do you think they can hold up to 16,8V?

well, with a 14.4 v Nimh, the actual peak voltage straight off the charger is something like 17.7- and the bulbs handle that fine.

I cant tell any difference between the 35W IRC and the regular 50W... except the extra 40 mins battery time... i love the IRC's!

Phillips Masterline ES do a 35watt high efficency 35watt 8deg bulb.
I have been using one for a while at 14.4v and its probably the best bulb I have had.
I think they do a 20 and a 45 watt too.

But I am now trying a P7 LED at 10watt with a 50mm reflector in my mag. Beam is tighter and it has just as much throw. at 1/5th the power requirements

Great info folks.....thanks!
I just did some dives this weekend on the U853 with my Nocturnallights TL50. I went inside just a little ways and the 50 watter seemed to throw more than enough light for my needs! The bulb that came with it that I used is a KARO 50 watt 12 degree with a color temp of 4700K. I'm sure overdriving it to 14.4 volts brings the color temp up a bit over 5000K. The beam is a nice bluish color in the center and yellowish towards the outside ring of light. The bulbs have no front glass cover.

I'm looking to find a comparable 35 watt bulb, same color temp, 4700K + and maybe a tighter beam, say 10 degree for a little better battery life. Eventually I'm liking the idea of fitting a P7 and that would just kick ass.

Back
Top Bottom