halo in pic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On the right side of this pic (an many of my others when using the wide angle lens and strobe) there is a halo. It is the exact same place and shape in several of my pics - when I did not use my strobe, it did not appear, and on others when I did use the strobe, it did not appear. I am thinking the light might be bouncing around in the housing (ikelite), but that does not explain why it only appeared when using the WA lens.

Any suggestions?

DSCN5193.jpg

Jesus lives!
In a WA lens. Nice fish.

The wide angle lens has a wide enough FOV to pick it up.

It appeared sometimes and sometimes not with your wide angle lens because sometimes you had the strobe forward of the lens and sometimes not. That is my guess but it could also be light from the strobe entering the housing, make sure the port tunnel is closed to light (the foam ring).

In fact, now that I go back and look at your example, I see three halos and those are light reflections from the multiple lens elements and port. Your strobe is forward of the lens and aimed in toward the lens. A diffuser will help reduce this also by softening the light. The further away and further behind the lens the strobe can be positioned, the better.

The same thing plagues me and it is most aggravating because you/I do not see the reflections in the LCD review. Then we run the photos on our computers and arrrggghhhhhhhh, curses etc.

N

It appeared sometimes and sometimes not with your wide angle lens because sometimes you had the strobe forward of the lens and sometimes not. That is my guess but it could also be light from the strobe entering the housing, make sure the port tunnel is closed to light (the foam ring).

In fact, now that I go back and look at your example, I see three halos and those are light reflections from the multiple lens elements and port. Your strobe is forward of the lens and aimed in toward the lens. A diffuser will help reduce this also by softening the light. The further away and further behind the lens the strobe can be positioned, the better.

The same thing plagues me and it is most aggravating because you/I do not see the reflections in the LCD review. Then we run the photos on our computers and arrrggghhhhhhhh, curses etc.

N

I am pretty sure it is not from the housing (had that problem and fixed it with the ring. I am using a diffuser (always do). I am guessing I am having problems now since this first time I have used the WA lens with the inon strobe - the af35 did not have enough flexibility to position the strobe in the location to cause the problem. I will just have to pay more attention to positioning. Yes, very frustrating that you do not see it until after the fact!!!!

The S2000 throws a much wider beam than the AF35. Your lens is seeing light directly from the strobe, glancing or incident, but nonethelsss sufficient to cause the internal reflections/ghosting.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom