Half-press to focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Out of the case, the DC1200 does the typical half-press to focus. I can feel resistance at that pressure, which allows me to wait for the focus before fully depressing and getting the shot. But once it's in the case, it's all or nothing- no half-press resistance. So I'm just mashing the button and hoping it focuses appropriately.
Is that normal behavior in the case, or should I be able to feel that slight catch?

Even though you are not feeling pressure, the shutter button is travelling the same distance it was out side the case... Have you practiced pressing down slowly until you see the camera focusing?

Even though you are not feeling pressure, the shutter button is travelling the same distance it was out side the case... Have you practiced pressing down slowly until you see the camera focusing?

Indeed I have not. I'm more reliant on my sense of touch, since I use multiple cameras (on land), each with their own travel distance. Are you suggesting that I just need to get comfortable with mentally measuring the distance the plunger travels, and forget about feeling some sort of catch?

Indeed I have not. I'm more reliant on my sense of touch, since I use multiple cameras (on land), each with their own travel distance. Are you suggesting that I just need to get comfortable with mentally measuring the distance the plunger travels, and forget about feeling some sort of catch?
Yes. None of the other cameras I use have a "stop". I have to learn where the stop point is

Fair 'nuff, I'd never used a camera inside a housing, so wasn't expecting that. Thanks for the advice.

I am the same way. While I have prescription lenses in my mask I still can't see well enough to see if the picture is focused. When divng in California wearing wet suit gloves I loose the dexterity to "feel" the "half press". I would like a more distinct click or stop at half press.

Doug

Just returned from our first outing with the 1200, on two 2-tank dives in Key Largo. The focus feels...sluggish. And the lack of that tactile sensation on focusing is definitely a drawback when I compare it to use outside the housing. Perhaps I just need to practice with it more on land in the housing, but so many times I missed a shot because I had to creep my finger down to see when the autofocus would kick in.

When you do a full press, the camera doesn't just take the picture without focusing. It will focus and take the picture as fast as it can. If you see a fish, that's exactly what you should do!
Don't give your fish time to move out of focus between your half press and full press.... just do a full press and hold.

When you do a full press, the camera doesn't just take the picture without focusing. It will focus and take the picture as fast as it can. If you see a fish, that's exactly what you should do!
Don't give your fish time to move out of focus between your half press and full press.... just do a full press and hold.

Well I'll be, didn't know that. Must have missed than in my cursory skim through the manual. But will definitely check it out. Much obliged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom