half moon caye bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
:06: Has anyone here been to half moon caye, bahamas? looking for a trip and found a cruise that will stop there for a while and was wondering if anyone has dove there?

Also would like to know if anyone has brought their equipment with them on a cruise, and if so how safe is it in the rooms etc.???

Scuba65:
:06: Has anyone here been to half moon caye, bahamas? looking for a trip and found a cruise that will stop there for a while and was wondering if anyone has dove there?

That is a Holland America line owned island. Carnival MIGHT stop there since they are owned by the same people. Be prepared not to dive there. The GF and I did a cruise three years ago and were told that most of the water activities don't happen because of the waves. The day we were there they wouldn't even allow snorkeling. I have heard that it is decent diving.

Should be no problem with leaving your gear in the room.

Hey, thanks so much for the information.

I did Holland American Panama trip and we stopped in Half Moon, it was quite a joke which ended up in my husband singing some sort of song to the captain about not being able to park the ship. We were on the dive boat when the Captain called everyone back to the boat due to the tenders being in rough water. We actually probably had time to do a dive before they got everyone off the island and back on the boat. As far as dive gear, I always take mine on cruises and have not had a problem yet. It is a bit crowded with two peoples dive gear but it all works out.

Half Moon Cay diving is okay, but not spectacular. About 45' depth, sandy bottom. Usually decent fish life.

But the other posters are correct, this excursion is often cancelled due to conditions. It's a beautiful island, though, and something I look forward to any time I'm on a ship which stops there (HAL owns it, Carnival uses it in the summer months occasionally). Their policy is no more than 1 ship there a day, which makes it nicer.

There were two ships there at the same time when I was there. Now these where two of HAL's smaller ships. The island itself is ok. They had a pretty good feast when we went.

When we stopped there and went ashore to snorkel, they REQUIRED us to wear life vests while snorkeling. Sheeesh.

crpntr133:
There were two ships there at the same time when I was there. Now these where two of HAL's smaller ships. The island itself is ok. They had a pretty good feast when we went.

You're correct, they used to allow 2 ships there on a single day, and I've been there when they had 2 of their larger ones there - not good. They've changed the policy now to a single ship per day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom