Halcyon tank cam straps - HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I loved the 6 foot hose, but decided not to go with the 24" SPG hose - I have the ACB+ weights (which DONT hold 10lb of soft weights - only 7 - maybe 10 if they're solid weights which I'll have to try) - and the D ring on the ACB+ just puts the SPG too far around to the left and out of convenient reach for checking. So I kept the original 30" or 32" Suunto hose on the SPG, and just tucked it in my waist strap, and it was so easy to retrieve, read and stow, and was still streamlined. Maybe with a few more dives once I'm used to the configuration (and a larger SS bolt snap on the SPG that my gloves can actually open), I'll try the 24" hose.

Originally posted by bengiddins
Got the backplate in the water today - TOTALLY comfortable. Just need to loosen my shoulder straps up a bit - my suit is thicker than I thought when I adjusted it for fit.

#1 PROBLEM: Top bolt in the backplate/wing fell out, so when I inflated the wing on the surface at the end of the dive, it pushed the tank off the backplate, popped the buckle open, and I'm left with a 200m surface swim trying to hold a tank in one hand and a regulator in the other. The bolt for the top hole HAS to go through the harness webbing,

Weight of the rig rides on the waist strap....
Shoulder straps should allow you to reach across to your dump...
Shoulder straps tighten up when the crotch strap/waist strap are fastened....
Shoulder straps should be loose enough when the crotch strap is undone that you can easily *chicken wing* out of it...

prob#1... bummer :wink:

You are right.... the top bolt goes through the webbing....
(I burn a hole in my webbing for the bolt)...

I can't speak to how well the new no-STA wing works but I will be able give it a try soon as I have a 27# coming....

I have used a Scott Koplin weighted STA with the Halcyon plate and 45# pioneer wing... worked great...

And of course the double 104s bolt up solid... can you imagine if they came loos.... no I don't even want to go there....

Glad you are OK Ben! Get a longer bolt... SS carraige bolt... and try it again.

Originally posted by bengiddins
Oh I loved the 6 foot hose, but decided not to go with the 24" SPG hose - I have the ACB+ weights (which DONT hold 10lb of soft weights - only 7 - maybe 10 if they're solid weights which I'll have to try) -

Ben, I used to have a set of the ACbs and I used solid curved *hip* wieghts in them.... started with 10s and ended up with 6s...

But I sold them on ebay....

And went to a 12# soft belt because I wanted to divide up my weight between the rig and myself.... I didn't like the idea of it all being on the rig....

As for the SPG... you need the BIG SS bolt snap so you can reach around and get it with your gloves....

I use dry gloves and even with them I have no trouble getting my SPG out and I've got a deco bottle there too...

Hey Ben,

I ditto everything UP said. I haven't used one of the new Pioneer wings either, but from what I hear, some people like the integrated STA and some don't. I'll be ordering one, too, one of these days, but I'm already assuming that an STA will be a good way to. I have two STA's anyway.

Using the 24" hose is a frequently asked question (:wink:) for a lot of people. The hose has to come over the top of the wing, not behind it. If it's behind it, then once the wing is inflated, it can be hard to get at. I use a big brass bolt snap (marine snap?) and I unclip it to read. This takes a bit of practice with stages, but without stages, I can simply look down at it while it's still clipped.

It'll come.

:)

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom