Halcyon SPG Defects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShizzA

Registered
Reaction score
I’m kind of a new diver and beginning to build an equipment base. I bought a Halcyon SPG and when I got it home I noticed that it had what I think are some minor problems. I first noticed that a small part of the threading, closest to the glass part of the SPG was a really munched up (the last 2/3 of the last thread). Because it was on the last thread there wouldn’t be any problem actually mounting it to a high pressure hose. The second problem was a set of small nicks along the part of the SPG you put a wrench on to tighten it down. They looked similar to marks you would expect to see if someone used pliers instead of a wrench. The third problem was what looked like minor splitting, or reasonably deep scratch along the housing right at the base of the mounting area (on the Big, Curved part of the SPG perpendicular to the glass). This was about half as long as an average pinkie. I took the SPG back to the LDS that I bought it from to get it replaced and they told me that all Halcyon SPG’s have these defects and it’s nothing to worry about. I guess I expected a $100 hunk of brass to be free of such minor defects. I mean, even the oil plugs you put in cars have perfect threads, and they cost less than a dollar. Given that scuba is putting me pretty deeply in debt, I really need to know if this is a pretty standard thing with Halcyon SPG’s or other brands of SPG’s. Thanks for your help…

A) Halcyon SPG's are made in the same factory as OMS, Scubapro and a bunch of other SPG's, so if these defects were on a Halcyon, you'd expect to see them on every other SPG out there, which leads me to believe that

B) Your LDS is feeding you a line of crap. I'd get fussy and demand a new one if it bothers you this much.

ShizzA:
I took the SPG back to the LDS that I bought it from to get it replaced and they told me that all Halcyon SPG’s have these defects and it’s nothing to worry about.

Maybe it is standard for items at that LDS to be this way.....and the LDS is making excuses?

I picked mine up today and upon close inspection, its almost flawless except for the first thread closet to the nut but its hardly noticable. Your definately sounds used and for the $ you should get what you paid for. Get a replacement - they are giving you a line that too many LDS conviniently use.

The thread that was messed up on mine was the one closest to the nut too. There was also some grease on the threads I didn't mention, but there is a pretty uniform concensus in the responses here even without adding that fact (although I am also curious if they come pre-lubricated as well). It's really nice to have a place to ask these types of questions freely without fear of a BS answer. Thank you guys so much for all your help!!!

ShizzA:
The thread that was messed up on mine was the one closest to the nut too. There was also some grease on the threads I didn't mention, but there is a pretty uniform concensus in the responses here even without adding that fact (although I am also curious if they come pre-lubricated as well). It's really nice to have a place to ask these types of questions freely without fear of a BS answer. Thank you guys so much for all your help!!!

I'd take it back and have them exchange it for a new one, you may want to examine it before you leave the LDS. If as they say this is how they come from Halcyon which I highly doubt they should have no trouble replacing it to make you happy either way.

ShizzA:
It's really nice to have a place to ask these types of questions freely without fear of a BS answer.

Wow, have we got you fooled! :55:

In this instance, however, I think you're getting good advice from the board. I'd guess that you were given a return instead of a new one. If so, there was a reason that it was returned and I'd be back in the shop looking to swap for a new "new" gauge.

reefraff:
Wow, have we got you fooled!

I know anyone using this board needs to sift through the rhetoric, but it makes it easier knowing that people don't generally have a personal stake in the outcome. I realized that when I was editing my original post before I put it up, I somehow erased the word "nail" just after pinkie. The scratch was actually about 1/2 - 2/3 as long as an average person's pinkie nail. I hope that doesn't change people's responses. If so, please let me know or say so on the thread. Again though, thanks for the advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom