DIR- Generic Halcyon - Scubapro regs choice: Same but not the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edwaty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am soon going to purchase a set of new regs to take the GUE-F class next month, and I'm still not decided about my final choice.
After discussions with the instructor, local dive shop, and reading too many things over the Internet, my choice is basically down to two sets:
- Halcyon H-75P + Halo (which are, from what I've read, Scubapro MK25 + G250V)
- Scubapro MK25 Evo + G260

So now, everyone is saying that they are the same, and both absolutely fine, but that's not exactly the case as they do differ on several small features. Differences I've currently in mind (may be wrong or incomplete):
- "Evo" version of MK25 adds special treatment (might be sealing of some parts in the reg, not sure) to prevent freezing in cold water and other issues in dirty water.
- G250V is bigger, with larger diaphragm, which makes it a bit easier, or at least more sensible, to breath (but maybe more sensitive to cold?)
- G260 is smaller but heavier than G250V, so more negative buoyancy there, maybe less comfortable in mouth?

Considering that the price is the same for both sets, is there any reason to take the Halcyon one (which is based on the previous version of Scubapro?) instead of the SP set?

(There's also the Black Tech version of MK25 Evo and G260, but my instructor called them expensive painting, so I probably won't put extra hundred bucks for them).

(Design is not an issue here, I like both :)

Thanks !

The mk25 and mk25evo are basically the same reg with some minor styling differences. The only major difference is a different coating on the spring that is supposed to increase cold water performance.

The G250V is a simpler design with no micro adjustment inside the knob for spring pad adjustments. From a service tech perspective the g250v has much less parts then the g260 but both are great regs.

Depending on your intended diving conditions you may want to consider a sealed diaphragm 1st stage over the mk25.

The halcyon regs are scubapro regs just rebadged. I find the halcyon regs ugly. At the same time, they're the same reg but cheaper. If you want to save money, go Halcyon. If money doesn't matter go scubapro. Either way you're buying excellent regs. You can also buy preconfigured sets from EE that make life a little easier
I've always loved G250Vs. If I'm not buying older used reds (MK10/G200), I go G250Vs

If you really worry about cold water just get mk17 which is a sealed diaphragm- there is a halcyon rebranded version as well H50 if my memory serves me right.
G260 vs G250V is a wash. G260 has a micro adjustment that allows to set a very low cranking effort. G250Vs minimum effort is basically fixed by the spring stiffness. Both will allow to set the lever height which will also allow to reduce the effort. While this feature is nice you will still be limited by the case geometry fault and you cannot set it too low or the reg will freeflow through the exhaust. G250V is simpler a bit which is a plus. I would not really judge by a diaphragm size alone. My A700 breathes as well as my g250v despite having much smaller diaphragm.

I use the MK25 Evo + G260 combo which I really love. Reason I went for the MK25 Evo is because the hose routing with my doubles is pretty clean. The G260 was just good value for money. My partner uses the same configuration.
We use these in cold water (during the winter it can be 3 degrees / 37F) on a regular basis without any issues.

Hi @Edwaty, in my personal experience, MK25evo+G260 is great in any condition and water temperature down to 5°C, 40m depth; I used it even deeper, roughly 50m, but in warmer waters. One guy told me he used this set at 4°C, 75m, in very murky waters. I expect the halcyon regs to perform similarly. These are very high-performance regs, so except if you need to use them in more harsh conditions than the one I described, don't bother with technical details. For instance, I chose SP because it is easier to have them serviced where I live.

However, I wouldn't buy anything for a fundamental class; I would rent. Only then I would buy. And I agree with @PfcAJ here: which regulators do you already have? Maybe they are good enough.

A bit OT - I see you are in France, so I am curious: when, where, and with whom will you take the fundie? In Cavalaire, with Jerome?

Hi @ginti,

Finally I've bought the Halcyon regs. I've got a nice discount for them, lower than the price of the Scubapro set, and my instructor told me that he'd used the Halo+H-75P set in 3°C water and had no issue (so I suppose they'll last for a very long time as arctic diving isn't on my list for the next years!).

I didn't have any regulator up to know, I always rent my gear but I wanted to buy my own regs for a while :wink:

And regarding the Fundamentals course, yes I'm taking it in November with Jerome in Cavalaire. I first planned to do it with Marc, but I haven't been able to find a date that was suiting both agendas, and Jerome offered me to join his course next month :wink:

I didn't have any regulator up to know, I always rent my gear but I wanted to buy my own regs for a while :wink:

It makes sense :) However, if you still need other equipment, consider renting during the course, just to try, and to buy only after.

And regarding the Fundamentals course, yes I'm taking it in November with Jerome in Cavalaire. I first planned to do it with Marc, but I haven't been able to find a date that was suiting both agendas, and Jerome offered me to join his course next month :wink:

Good to know that the French community is growing! Are you based in the north or in the south of the country?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom